How I Met Your Mother S03E08 - Spoiler Alert 小筆記

How I Met Your Mother S03E08 - Spoiler Alert

IMDB:
The guys shatter Ted's impressions of his new girlfriend by telling him she talks too much. Ted responds by turning the tables on his friends, and they react by pointing out Ted's worst flaw.

Ted的新女友發生什麼事了呢?為什麼大家討厭她?
然後這集居然拿到imdb的9分呢!超有趣的一集XD
快來看看大家為了什麼心碎了一地XD

---------------------------------------

1)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJIxeAJoYU
Ted遇到一個很喜歡的女生,他把她介紹給大家。BUT..........
--
[At the restaurant]
Ted from 2030: So we all went out to dinner, and I couldn't wait to see if my friends were as crazy about Cathy as I was.
Ted: So, what's everyone getting?
Woman: Well, I can't decide. which sounds better, chicken or lasagna?
Robin: Lasagna. Just get the lasagna!
Woman: Oh, you guys just got a new place. How many bedrooms is it?
Lily: Two. It's two bedrooms!

[At the apartment]

Ted: Okay! Let's hear it. What's wrong with Cathy?
Barney: Are you kidding me, ted? she's got a...
Lily: You didn't notice it?
Ted: Notice what?
Lily: oh, he doesn't see it. If we point it out, we're gonna ruin her for him. As his friends, we'll just keep him in the dark.
Barney: you're right. She's great, man.
Robin: Yeah, she's a keeper. Just... keep her somewhere else.

[OPENING CREDITS]

Ted: Marshall, what is everyone's problem with Cathy?
Marshall: Oh, she's a total nightmare, Ted, but can we talk about this later? I’m a minute away from finding out if I’m gonna be a lawyer or not.
Ted from 2030: You see, kids, during the summer, Marshall had taken the New York bar exam. His years of school, his countless hours of study, had finally culminated in this gruelling, two-day ordeal.
--
.lasagna:千層麵

.she's a keeper:
指一件值得擁有的東西、值得交往的對象等。
但因為Cathy太惹人厭了,所以Robin說Keep her somewhere else XD

.bar
其實是barrister的縮寫。
這是指大律師(或訟務律師),就是有資格代表當事人在法庭發表代理辯護的意見。

.culminated in
以…告終,後通常+in
所以:culminate in tragedy是以悲劇告終、culminate in success就是以成功結束。
感謝Han-yun的例句:3

.grueling
指很累的意思,等於tired
有另個單字:gruel,字很像,是麥片粥

.ordeal
痛苦的經歷


2)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACJIxeAJoYU#t=143
Marshall的考試結果如何呢?
--
Ted from 2030: Now, months later, the results of that exam were scheduled the post online at 10 o'clock and this is 9:59.
Marshall: Damn, they're not up yet.
Lily: Oh, don't worry, baby. I’m sure you rocked it.
Robin: How many people fail the bar?
Marshall: Half.
Robin: Oh, my god, half? Only half the people pass? I mean, half the people pass. That's fantastic. Go, Marshall.
Barney: Oh, hey, can I jump on there? I want to show you something awesome.
Marshall: What? No. Bar results. My future.
Barney: Trust me... you need to see this.
Marshall: What is so important that I need to see it right now?
Barney: It's a video of a dog pooping on a baby.
Marshall: How do I need to see that? Why would I want to see that? In what possible way could subjecting my eyes and my brain to something that disgusting enrich my life?
Barney: It's a dog pooping on a baby.
Marshall: Get away from my computer.
Barney: Okay, just do a quick google search for "caca spaniel."
Marshall: The results are in.
Lily: Whoo. What's it say?
Marshall: "Input password."
Lily: Input the password.
Marshall: It's okay. They assigned it to me when I took the test. It's gotta be around here somewhere. Here. Here-here-here. Jelly beans, fluffernutter, gummi bears, ginger snaps... This is a grocery list.
Robin: For who? A witch building a house in the forest?
Marshall: Sugar helps me study.
Barney: This is like the shopping a ten-year-old does when his parents leave him alone for the weekend.
Lily: What parent leaves a ten- year-old alone for the weekend?
Barney: And your mom was perfect?
Marshall: I can't find my password! okay, just...
Ted: Can't you let 'em know that you lost it and they'll e-mail it to you or something?
Marshall: No! They won't let me do that! I’m gonna have to wait till the results come in the regular mail. That could be weeks from now, if ever! Our mail carrier hates me ever since I asked her when the baby was due.
Robin: She wasn't pregnant?
Ted: No, he was not.
Robin: Ooh. Okay, well, that's a drag, but the results will come eventually. Just try to keep it off your mind until then.
(Marshall's phone chips)
Marshall: Hey, brad... Oh, congratulations, man... I’m, uh... I’m not sure yet. I lost my password... That's great, Cara... I don't know yet. I lost my password... I don't know how I lost it! This stuff happens! Oh. Ohh! you're one to talk. You misplace stuff all the time...I’m sorry... I’m sure the nurses are stealing your medicine, grandma. Love you too.
--
.subject
這裡應該指使服從。
不過大家更常看到「科目」的用法。

.spaniel(http://goo.gl/1BDTWD)
一種長毛垂耳狗。



.fluffenutter
一種三明治,它夾了花生醬、棉花糖等等(感覺熱量很…)

.gummi bears(http://goo.gl/KSnSD7)
小熊軟糖!!!
然後,我只是想補充我看到的一篇文章:《爆笑圖文 - 這些可憐蟲買了五磅裝的小熊軟糖,結果...》
http://translatedbytonytsou.blogspot.tw/2014/01/blog-post_1873.html
到底是有多慘啦!!!



.snaps
薄脆餅乾

.that's a drag
倒霉的事、讓人不開心的事


3)
Ted和新女友一起去吃飯,沒想到其他人對她的態度超差,為什麼?
真相大白囉XDDD
--
[FLASHBACK]
Ted: So, what's everyone getting?
Cathy: Well, I can't decide. Which sounds better, chicken or lasagna? I like chicken. I like lasagna. I like them both, but I really like pork. A lot of people don't eat pork, and maybe it's because of that movie babe or something. But that was funny. He was a talking pig and he was like "bah, ram, ewe!" what-what if there was a sorority, "bah, ram, ewe?" I'd totally rush it. ...and so I named him Dr. Seuss! Lorax is a funny word.
Robin: Lasagna! Just get the lasagna!
Cathy: Oh, you guys just got a new place. How many bedrooms is it? I would love to have an extra bedroom, because I would put a stair master in there. I'll be back in one second. Or a futon. Futons are great. Or what about one of those murphy beds? Who invented the murphy bed? Was it a guy named murphy? Oh, my god. Do you guys remember that show murphy brown? That was a funny show. She had a new assistant every episode... and it was like half an hour before I realized he wasn't even on the phone anymore! Isn't that hysterical?
Lily: Two! It's two bedrooms!

Cathy: Hey, do you guys like cannolis? Because I know this place and it's in the south bronx and you wouldn't expect it, but they have the best cannolis in town.
---
。babe
。bah, ram, ewe
大家有看過電影《我不笨,所以我有話說》嗎?故事中的小豬就叫作babe
非常可愛的一部電影哦,大推薦!!!
據說裡面的動物是聯合真實動物和模型完成的,真的超可愛~~~
(http://www.taosmemory.com/movies/poster/1995/08.jpg)

記得小豬遇到大困難嗎?牠最後就是用bah, ram, ewe這句密語解決一切的哦~
影片在這裡供大家回味:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFWiqhMJzvs
(害我小時候超想對羊說bah, ram, ewe XD)


。sorority:姐妹會
在Tricycle那集介紹過囉~

。Dr. Seuss
。Lorax
Dr.Seuss創造了許多非常有名的兒童繪本,之前也介紹過幾次了,像是Grinch就是他創造出來的
那這裡的Lorax中文翻成「羅雷司」,也翻拍成同名電影了哦~
(http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/dr_seuss_the_lorax_movie-wide.jpg)

。murphy brown
一部美國的情境喜劇

。cannolis
奶油甜餡煎餅卷,是義大利的有名甜點,在美國被視為義大利甜點的代表之一。
看起來很好吃啊,但很少看到台灣在賣…如果大家有看到哪裡在賣麻煩通知一下囉XD
(http://goo.gl/c7yf7J)



4)
既Ted心碎後,接下來換Marshall………
--
Ted: Well, thank you, pal. You and your little friends, you just had to tell me. You just had to give in to my incessant begging.
Marshall: You said that you wanted to know.
Ted: I didn't want to know!
Marshall: You said you wanted to know!
Ted: Well, I didn't know I didn't want to know! You knew. And you know me and you should have known I didn't want to know! You know?
Marshall: I’m sorry we told you. I’m surprised she didn't tell you herself at some point. There's only a finite combination of words in the English language.
Ted: Well, you could have let me enjoy it a little longer. She's got all these other great qualities. She's smart. She's caring. She loves animals...
Marshall: You know how to teach her a lesson? Buy her a parrot. Oh, come on. I’m sorry that we told you, okay? It's part of being in a relationship. Eventually, you get used to these annoying little things that bug you at first.
Ted: Yeah, I guess. I mean, you got used to Lily's loud chewing, right?
Marshall: Lily doesn't chew loudly.
Ted: Dude... Come on. This isn't news. Why do you think I call her "Chewbacca"?
Marshall: I assumed because she's loyal, wears shiny belts and I resemble a young Harrison Ford.

Ted: Think about it.

[FLASHBACK: Ted, Lily and Marshall are watching TV, Lily is eating really loudly a carrot. In the kitchen, Lily is eating chips. In the street, Lily is somehow eating cotton-candy very loudly.]
[END OF FLASHBACK]
Marshall: (broken glass sound) Oh, man, honestly, dude, that's the meanest thing you've ever done to me.
Ted: I really thought you knew. We had ribs the other night. It sounded like Jurassic park.
Marshall: Ha-ha-ha. You know what? It doesn't matter.

Ted from 2030: But it did.

--
。incessant:不停的

。finite:有限的

。Chewbacca:
丘巴卡,是Star war裡面的一個角色。
還有人說它是取材自西遊記的豬巴戒發音XDDDD
(http://goo.gl/03IUv0)

。resemble:像

。Harrison Ford
哈里遜福特,美國男演員;
演過Star war、法櫃奇兵(印第安那瓊斯)等,非常有名XD
(http://goo.gl/TgYqW2)


。cotton-candy:棉花糖

。Jurassic park
電影《侏羅紀公園》,經典啊~
但依然不敢看嗚嗚
(http://goo.gl/pqZVQr)


5)
再來換Robin心碎了…
--
[FLASHBACK]
Robin: Hey, can you hand me a Kleenex?
Ted: Actually, Kleenex is a brand. This is a facial tissue.
Robin: Oh, my god, is Frankenstein gonna kill that little girl?
Ted: Uh, Dr. Frankenstein isn't in this scene. That's Frankenstein's monster.
Robin: That literally blew my mind.
Ted: Figuratively.
[END OF FLASHBACK]
Robin: (broken glass sound) Oh, my god, you're right. That is so annoying.
Lily: Isn't it?

Robin: Where are those pretzels from, Ace Hardware?
--
。Kleenex:舒潔
國外的舒潔沒有拉拉哦~
(http://goo.gl/o8qDgW)


。literally
。figuratively
相信大家都記得Robin超愛講literally
但它和figuratively有什麼差別呢?
literal是照字面上的,而figurative則是比喻的、修飾的,近似於metaphorically。
因此,當我們用literally時,後面接的會是一件事實;反之,則是接譬喻性、誇飾性而非真實的事情。
所以,如果今天句子是:
The guitar solo literally blew my head off. -> 這個吉他solo真的讓你的頭爆炸了
如果你只是要形容吉他之難聽,就要說:
The guitar solo figuratively blew my head off. -> 你的頭沒有真的爆炸
(http://goo.gl/pGlcKY)

只要去google一下這兩個單字就可以更清楚知道它們的差別。
或是這個網站:http://wordbutchers.tumblr.com/post/11678039973/it-figuratively-drives-me-crazy-when-people-say 也寫了"It figuratively drives me crazy when people say "literally."" XD
上面那張圖,左邊就是"I could figuratively eat a horse." ,右邊就是 "I could literally eat a horse."

。Ace Hardware
一間賣五金用具的店,http://www.acehardware.com/home/index.jsp



6)
Marshall的缺點又是什麼呢?

--
Marshall, singing: *Paying my bills using return address labels. From a charity that I haven't given money to. Writing a check cause now I feel guilty The Salivation Army does not fight fair.
Heading down to the basement today. With my laundry and a roll of quarter. (Go out and open door again)But I’m back too soon Cause I left the detergent  And the fabric softener*
[END OF FLASHBACK]
(broken glass sound X2)
Barney: Wow. those lines are so sloppy.
Marshall: oh, come on! What about you, "Barney"? Okay, you... always...
Barney: Interesting, interesting, everyone has annoying habits but me.
Marshall: Oh, got it. Okay, you sometimes talk in a weird high-pitched voice.
(broken glass sound)
Robin: And you're constantly using lame catchphrases.
(broken glass sound X2)
Ted: And sometimes you space out and don't even pay attention to what we're talking about.
(broken glass sound X2)
Barney: I’m sorry. what? Oh, see? You can't think of anything cause I am awesome.(high voice)
Robin: All three right there.
Ted: Well, technically, "awesome" wouldn't be a catchphrase. If anything, it's more of a catchword.
Robin: I literally want to rip your head off.
Ted: you mean "figuratively"!
Robin: No, I literally mean "literally." Literally, literally literally. Oh, my god, Lily, what are you eating, gravel?
Marshall: oh, I know, right? It sounds like cufflinks going up a vacuum cleaner.
Lily: Well, why don't you sing about it?
Marshall: Because I don't sing about everything I do. (sing)
Robin: No, no, sometimes you just sing nonsense sentences like a stroke victim, and what's worse, they're catchy. (sing) Apple,orchard,banana, cat dance, 8663!!! See? We know that one because once you sang that for, like, three hours. what the hell is that?
Marshall: That's my password. AOBCD8663.
Lily: Oh, Marshall!
Ted: Awesome!
Barney: There's another one. It's called "golden reliever," where this dog...
Lily: Yeah, we can guess.

Marshall: All right, guys, guys, guys! I’m a lawyer.
--
。salivation:分泌唾液

。a roll of quarter:零錢

。detergent:洗衣精

。sloppy:
原本指泥濘的,但也可以用來形容有點邋塌、過於隨意、粗心的意思。

。space out:神遊、放空
(http://goo.gl/MU6obW)


。cufflinks:袖扣
(http://goo.gl/Xf5u0R)

。stroke:中風



沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...