How I Met Your Mother S03E03 - Third Wheel 小筆記

How I Met Your Mother S03E03 - Third Wheel

本集討論...Ted可能可以拿到"Tricycle" belt!!!??? XD

IMDB:
Ted has a chance for a threesome with two women, but Barney and Lily try to sabotage it. Meanwhile, Robin's date also goes better than expected, if only she can find a razor.

------------------------------------------------------------

1)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EarwGFTSY#t=19

Ted突然打電話跟Barney說他將要拿到"THE BELT"!!!
--
[flashback to 'less than half an hour ago,' Barney and Marshall are playing Wii tennis in the living room]
Marshall: Yes, advantage Ericksen.
Barney: Don't get cocky. Wimbledon lasts a fortnight.
Marshall: Fortnight. British words are so cool. Plus, did you know lawyers there get to wear wigs? I wear a wig to work, I'm a jackass.
(Ted enters the living room from his bedroom)
Ted: All right, I'm ready, let's hit it.
Marshall: Can't go. Tournament.
Ted: What? We agreed, I suited up.
Barney: You take too long to get ready
Ted: What are you talking about? I got the low-maintenance, just-rolled-out-of-bed look.
Marshall: Yeah, which takes an hour and a half of waxing, tugging and teasing to achieve.
Barney: And then he starts on his hair. Ace.
Ted: Ha ha ha ha. Look, are we going or not?
Barney: Just go without us, we'll be there in five minutes.
Ted: Really?
Barney, Marshall: Yes.
Ted: All right, going down to the bar and ordering three beers, I'll see you in five minutes. (Ted opens front door to leave. holding up appropriate number of fingers) 3 beers, 5 minutes.
(Ted leaves, Marshall and Barney make strange finger movements mocking Ted's)
--
因為Barney和Marshall在打Wii的網球,這裡開始會有很多英式用語和網球用語。

.advantage
在網球術語中,如果比賽到了40:40的階段,此時稱作deuce,即平手。
此時,兩人需連取兩分,才能拿下那局。
而如果有人在deuce之後先拿下一分,就稱為advantage;像這裡是Marshall advantage Barney.

.cocky:臭屁

.fortnight:
英式用法,指兩星期。
Marshall覺得很酷,因為不用說two weeks直接說fortnight就可以表達兩星期了XD

.wig:
假髮,特指英國系統法官、律師所戴的那種。
記得S02最後Lily和Marshall婚禮上,他們要找的那種叫作toupee,兩個是不一樣的哦!
因為這種假髮配上黑袍給人莊嚴、禮儀化的感覺,也是英國司法系統的象徵。很多法官和律師都只有一頂假髮,因為他們認為假髮越舊代表在法律界的資歷越高。
詳細的可以看wiki:http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/假髮

.jackass
混蛋、蠢蛋。
但這裡有種很跩的意思

.tug:用力拉

.tease:梳理

.Ace:
Excellent! very good!
也因為M和B在玩網球,Ace剛好也在網球比賽直接發球得分的意思。
也就是Barney補Ted一刀,兩人覺得整個完勝Ted的感覺XD




2)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EarwGFTSY#t=117

Ted一個人在Bar遇到了Trudy。
記得嗎The pineapple incident的那位XDDD
--
[flashback to 'about 2 years ago', Ted and Trudy making out in his room and then back to present scene]
Trudy: I slept with you, then climbed down the fire escape?
Ted: That was you? Kidding. I was super wasted ... that night. These are not all for me. (Trudy sitting at bar, Ted talking to her) No, I was gonna call you but I was so embarrassed.
Trudy: You were embarrassed? I was like, I really like this guy and now I'm climbing out his window. (Ted laughs) And I forgot my underwear.
Ted: Those were yours? I thought they felt kinda tight. Kidding, I don't wear underwear, ladies underwear. Often. Again, I'm kidding.
Trudy: I am so glad I ran into you.
Ted: I know, do you wanna get a ... (Ted gets interrupted by Rachel who just notices Trudy)
Rachel: Trudy, no way!
Trudy: Oh my God, Rachel, how are you? (Rachel and Trudy scream and hug) Ted, this is Rachel.
Rachel: Hi.
Rachel, Trudy: Kappa Epsilon Gamma! Whoo!
Ted: Let me guess, you guys met in prison.
Rachel: No, we're sorority sisters.
Trudy: And best friends forever, all sophomore year.
Rachel: When we weren't at each other's throats.
Trudy: We could be so competitive. But that's all behind us now.
Rachel: (singing and dancing) Hey, mista...
Rachel, Trudy: (Trudy joins in singing and dancing) ... hey mista, stay away from my sista.
Trudy: We have so much catching up do to. (Trudy and Rachel walk away from Ted together)
Rachel: OK, are you going to Stacy's wedding?
Trudy: Oh, it's off, apparently he's into dudes.
Rachel: No! Again? That's like her third one.
Trudy: I know.
Ted: Well, beers, what do you want to do? Stay here, or I know this other place called my belly.
(Rachel returns to Ted)
Rachel: So, Trudy and I got a table.
Ted: Oh, that's cool, I was gonna get outta here anyway, I'm really tired.
Rachel: But I want you to stay.
Ted: Tired of people who fold early 'cause I am wide awake. (Rachel laughs and heads back to her table, Ted turns to his beers and picks them up) OK, guys, be cool.
--
.wasted:超醉
哎喲我找了Barney + wasted,結果居然跑出這張圖啦XDDDDhttp://www.funri.com/img/1ebcf_barney.jpg



.Kappa Epsilon Gamma
這是一個虛構的Sorority,可看一條解釋:

.sorority:姐妹會(http://goo.gl/xYJZ4U)
另一個常見的:fraternities,兄弟會。
我們看到上面他們說的Kappa Eplison Gamma,兄弟會或姐妹會都會有希臘字母命名,所以有些人會稱這類社團為希臘社團(Greek Organization)
雖然有些是課業取向,但多半以人際關係為主,兄弟會只招男性、姐妹會只招女性。
要入會有一定的考驗,通過考驗才能入會,而且這種考試似乎會保密。
可以看看wiki的介紹:
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/兄弟會與姊妹會


也可搭配這個影片來看XDDDhttp://forgetfulbc.blogspot.com/2012/03/hd_7804.html

.sophomore:二年級生
學生的話,尤其是高中以後,就可以直接這樣說。
高一:freshman、高二:sophomore、高三:senior
而大學則是在大三插入了junior。
非常實用的英文哦:D
不過也有人提到,這比較屬於美式英文,如果到了英國或其他地方,可能換成first, second, third...等等比較合適。(如果有人確定也麻煩跟我說一下,謝謝:D)




3)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EarwGFTSY#t=413

Trudy和Rachel兩人都對Ted很有意思,到底Ted要怎麼辦~~~
--
[Lily enters front door of apartment]
Lily: Well, he's right, it's a dead heat.

[Trudy and Rachel both get closer to Ted]
Trudy: Two.

[Lily continues walking into apartment]
Lily: Neither one is giving ground. I could not tell who was the third wheel.

[Rachel and Trudy both put their hand on Ted's leg]
Trudy: Three

[INT. MEN'S RESTROOM. Ted on cell phone]
Ted: It's a tricycle.
(Barney on phone)
Barney: No way, no way, no way!
Marshall: What's happening?
(Barney passes phone to Marshall)
Ted: It's a tricycle.
Marshall: No way, no way, no way. It's a tricycle.
Lily: Well, I'll just say it right now, all sorority girls are sluts.
Barney: Put him on speaker. So what you're saying to us right now is you have a shot at the belt?
Marshall: Wait wait wait, what belt?
Ted: Barney and I have this running joke that the first guy to actually pull this off would win the championship belt.
Marshall: Oh, so it's a metaphorical belt, right?
--
.dead heat:不分勝負、平手、競爭激烈

.give ground:退縮

.third wheel:電燈泡(http://goo.gl/NzirjQ)
欸英文是從腳踏車的意象來的。因為腳踏車通常只有兩個輪子,所以第三個輪子就代表多餘,也就是中文說的「電燈泡」的意思。
也有人會說:the third arm



.tricycle:三輪車(http://goo.gl/q18jhz)
這裡當然不是說三輪車XD
我們剛說,英文的電燈泡叫作third wheel。不過,如果三個人都很重要呢?就變三輪車了!XD
其實是很委婉的threesome(3P)的意思。
在查這個用法時,其實很多人都提到這是從HIMYM出來的句子,可以顯示HIMYM對流行文化真的超重要啊XD



噢所以回來這集了,這集的標題叫作:Third Wheel
就是因為:
.這集談到Threesome
.這是第三季
.這是第三季的第三集




4)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EarwGFTSY#t=449

難道真的有那條belt嗎!!!XD
--
[flashback to Barney removing a large belt from a box]
Barney: Behold.
Ted: You actually bought a belt.
Barney: That's right, it's resplendent.
Ted: It's just a thing we said, we were kidding around.
Barney: I never kid. Remember you said if I ever slept with that girl from Days of our Lives, I'd be the king? Well... (Barney pulls a crown out of the box and puts it on his head)

[back to present scene]
Marshall: Why wasn't I told about the belt? I could go for the belt. If Lily were to die before me, then I could ride the tricycle.
Lily: If I died, I'd just come back and haunt your penis.
Ted: Guys, come on, help me out. What do I do?
Barney: All right, Ted, if you're about to go for the belt, then the bylaws require me to ask the following questions. One, is the aggregate age of all the participants under 83?
Ted: Yes.
Barney: Two, is the aggregate weight of all participants under 400 pounds.
Ted: Yes.
Barney: Theodore Mosby, are you paying these women?
Ted: What? No.
Barney: Ted?
Ted: No. Look, I gotta go. They're gonna think I inherited my dad's imaginary bathroom issues.(Ted hangs up)
--
.behold:你看!!!(http://goo.gl/PJld1p)



.resplendent:燦爛的

.Days of our Lives:
《我們的日子》,美國的NBC電視台製播的一部日間肥皂劇,仍在播的超級長壽電視劇(since 1965),每星期播一次。
《Friends》迷絕對不陌生,Joey也曾演過其中的Dr. Drake Ramoray XDDD (http://goo.gl/A22v9x)



.bylaws:(英國地方自治單位的)地方法

.aggregate:總計

.inherit:繼承、遺傳




5)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EarwGFTSY#t=636

Ted帶了兩位女士回家,沒想到進房間卻看到....
--
Ted: What are you guys doing here? I've got, I've got...
Lily: We know, we know, Ted. Well done, this is very impressive. Up top. (Lily and Ted high-five)
Marshall: Yeah bro, up top. (Marshall puts his hand up)
Lily: Oh, don't be gross. (Lily puts Marshall's hand down)
Ted: You guys need to get out of here right now. Please, take the fire escape.
Marshall: No, no way. The other day I saw a pigeon take a crap on it and the whole thing shifted.
Lily: Oh, you can use our bedroom.
Ted: OK, all I need to seal the deal is the Wilco CD...Barney. (Barney picks up CD from Ted's bedside table and snaps it in half) What are you doing?
Barney: I cannot allow Ted to do this.
Ted: Why, why?
Barney: Because the belt is my birthright. You can't claim it before I do. That would be like Jimmy Olsen capturing Lex Luther while Superman watches impotently from the bedroom.
Marshall: But Barney, you've done way dirtier stuff than Ted. You're disgusting.
Barney: I've never ridden the tricycle. I was on the verge last year, it was so close.

[flashback to Barney sitting in a living room with two girls]
Barney: So, ladies, why don't we move this party to a more horizontal location? (Barney leans closer to Blonde Girl and accidentally knocks over wine glass and spills red wine on white carpet)
Blonde Girl: Oh my God. My new carpet. Oh my God, this is a disaster, You get the carpet cleaner, I'll get a towel.
Brunette Girl: OK. (Blonde Girl and Brunette Girl get up)
Barney: I'll get the video camera.
Blonde Girl: Get out!
Barney: OK then.

[back to present scene]
Ted: Let me get this straight. You're gonna trike block me? That is so petty. It's like you're...
Marshall: Tom Petty.
Ted: Tom Petty. You're Tom Petty. (Ted turns around and sees his door open and Lily not in his room anymore) Where's Lily? (Ted walks out of his room to find Lily standing, looking at girls on couch, Ted pushes her into his room) Still looking for that CD, so... (Ted goes back into his room) What are you doing?
Lily: I knew it. I had a hunch about that girl and I was right.
--
.seal the deal:達成協議、完成交易
seal有印章、蓋章的意思,deal則表示交易、協定。以前談成交易要蓋章。
這張圖在玩雙關,因為seal也是海獅~海獅壞壞~~~(http://goo.gl/OZXCw2)



.birthright:生來就有的權利

.Jimmy Olsen:
DC Comics的角色,是超人的好朋友。

.Lex Luther:
DC Comics的超級反派角色,目標是以殺死超人來作為支配世界的跳板。
(原來我看過這個角色!!!PAD最近合作地城XDDD http://goo.gl/6xPnAk



.impotently:無力的、虛弱的

.verge:邊緣

.Tom Petty:
美國音樂人、歌手。
為何要講到他?
是因為Ted上一句說:"You're gonna trike block me? That is so petty. It's like you're..."
......然後Marshall就很冷接了"Tom Petty"

.hunch:預感



6)
看影片學英文:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0EarwGFTSY#t=749

Robin和very cute doctor約會,但她之前為了要矜持點,所以沒有刮腿毛...
--
[INT. RESTAURANT: Waitress stands at Robin's table, Robin looks through brown paper bag]
Robin: Where's the shaving cream?
Waitress: Well, you didn't ask me for shaving cream.
Robin: Well, it was implied. Who buys a razor without buying shaving cream?
Waitress: Well, who doesn't shave their legs for her date?
Robin: Well, who's not getting a tip because of her attitude?
Waitress: Well, here's a little tip for you. Shave your legs before you leave the house, Sasquatch.
Robin's date: Hey Robin, the valet's brought the car around. I thought we'd go back to my place. You in the mood for a night cap?
Robin: Absolutely. I just have to go to the ladies room. I've got TB...tiny bladder. I'll meet you out front?
Robin's date: Yeah.
(Robin walks into the ladies room, puts her purse down on the sink counter and takes out the razor from her bag, Robin props her right foot on the counter and unzips her boot, grabs the soap and pumps it but no soap comes out)
Robin: You've gotta be kidding me. (Robin walks out into the restaurant with her right boot still down, grabs the butter from the nearest table) Excuse me.
(Robin heads back to the ladies room with the butter, props right foot back up on the counter, rubs butter over her right leg and begins to shave, slips and falls backwards)
--
.implied:不言而喻的
意思是說:我請你去幫我買刮刀,你理所當然會連刮泡一起買才對

.Sasquatch
大腳野人。
應該是我第四次介紹這個單字了XD (http://goo.gl/IAoeYS)



.valet:男僕、隨從(http://goo.gl/MLbWFJ)
就是代客泊車的服務生。


.TB:
有很多簡稱,這裡醫師應該是誤以為是Tuberculosis,肺結核
但其實Robin說的是Tiny Bladder,小膀胱




沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...