How I Met Your Mother S01E08 - The Duel 小筆記

1)
Lily發現「才」三個月沒回家,她的房子居然就變成了Chinese restaurant!
--
Lily: What the hell?
Robin: Lily, this is a Chinese restaurant.
Lily: No, no, this was my apartment. My dresser was right... (Lily looks around to point out to Robin where her dresser would be) That's my dresser! And this is my closet. (Lily opens closet door) And I spilled nail polish there. There's the stain. (Lily and Robin look at something on carpet)
(Waitress walks in from kitchen)
Waitress: Hi, how many?
(Lily looks up at Waitress)
Waitress: Lily.
Lily: Yes, you know me?
Waitress: Yeah, from your homecoming picture. You're much prettier in person.
Lily: Yeah, I know, the bangs were a mistake. Where's my stuff?
Waitress: It's all in the back. We could wrap it up for you. You want it to go?
Lily: This is my apartment!
Waitress: Not anymore.
--
dresser可以指化裝師,但也可以指斗櫃,並不是衣櫃哦!
貼心的朋友幫我們介紹了幾個單詞:
solid-wood dresse
r實木的斗櫃
6-drawer dresser六斗櫃 (六個抽屜)
kitchen dresser廚房用的收納櫃

再來nail polish女孩們應該都知道,就是指甲油,而nail polish remover就是去光水啦~
stain則是汙點

 (http://goo.gl/Mii6Mi)



homecoming有不少意思,像是回老家、回國、返校日等等
而在暑假後會有個homecoming party的開學舞會哦!

擱來,是bangs
這兒我自己捉的翻譯是Lily說:「是啊,閃光燈對我來說一直是個悲劇」
然而我們查了查,bangs都沒有當閃光燈的意思,
Bangs這裡應該是指「瀏海」,是比較整齊對稱的那種
另外補充「fringe」則是比較隨性的瀏海。

(http://goo.gl/UEBeyh)


最後他們在玩雙關!
因為Lily的家變成餐廳,當Waitress說「wrap it up」的時候,可以說:要幫你外帶打包嗎?也可以指:你的行李要幫你包好給你嗎?
而want it to go也是類似的雙關!






2)
[每日一句/詞 131205]S01E08
今天這段比較長,要講的也比較多…
Lily搬進了T&M的家,然而Ted覺得自己被排擠了。
--
Ted: Damn it Past Ted
Barney: You blew it, dude. Now that Lily's there, it's a whole new dynamic. They're edging you out.
Ted: That's crazy. They're not edging me out. Marshall's my best friend.
(Barney exhales loudly)
Ted: One of my best friends. He wouldn't do that to me.
Barney: Just keep your eyes open. That's all I'm saying, Ted. Little things are gonna be changing around that apartment.
Robin: Come on, Barney, you're just being paranoid. OK, seriously, what is this girl's deal?
(Girl at other table waves at Barney, Barney waves back)
Barney: Sort of on a date with her.
Ted: What?
Barney: I found her online. I'm tired of the whole bar scene, the one-night hookups. I'm looking for a soul-mate, someone who I can love and cuddle, or so it says in my profile. (evil laugh) But this girl, she wants the same stuff and it's bumming me out. All right, Ted, call me from the hospital.
Ted: All right.
Robin: You're going to the hospital?
Ted: No, see, he's gonna go back over there and I'm gonna call him and he's gonna pretend that it's an emergency call from a family member at the hospital.
Robin: Oh, Lord, fake emergency? That is lamest, most pathetic cop-out in the book. I expect more from you, Barney.
Barney: Well, stay tuned, I'm working on some stuff. But in the meantime, wish me luck.
(Barney gets up to sit with Girl)
--
You blew it, 是你搞砸了!

edge是邊緣的意思,而edge sb. out就是把某個人推到邊邊,也就是排擠某人的意思。

再來paranoid是多疑的、愛胡亂猜測的。
what is this girl's deal,先看看片語what's the deal
當我們對某人說這句話的時候,是想問那個人他最近在做些什麼,或在計畫些什麼。
因此當Robin發現有個女人一直看著Barney,她受不了了,就問:那女的到底想麼?

接下來Barney那段挺有趣的,他說:「我是個不想要再有一夜情,想找個心靈契合、可以常常擁抱在一塊的伴侶,哼哈哈哈哈(惡魔笑聲),我的online profile這樣講。但可惜那女人居然也想要同樣的事情,太bum me out了」
bum sb. out就是使某人覺得沮喪、有不好意經驗,例句:The bad movie bummed out the entire audience。



pathetic我想大家應該都知道,是可悲的;常常會說:I'm a pathetic looser
cop-out則是逃離的藉口。

stay tuned,有種「不要轉台」的意思,意指等會兒,等下會有更多的新消息!


 (http://goo.gl/fTgEbQ)

來個有點賤的例句當結尾吧XD
Ross's about to tell Rachel he's been cheating on her. Stay tuned for the screaming!





3)
今天這段能講的沒那麼多,但實在太有趣了,附上影片給大家回味:) [05:50開始]
http://www.zzstream.li/2013/06/how-i-met-your-mother-s1-e8.html

Barney在online date,但他需要一個藉口離開,於是叫Ted記得「打個電話」給他。
Robin想鬧他,接過了電話;)
--
Barney: Hello?
Robin: Hi there, sexy.
Barney: Hello, Aunt Kathy, what's up?
Robin: Oh, nothing. Just sitting here, thinking about you, hot stuff.
Barney: An accident? Well, is Uncle Rudy gonna be OK?
Robin: Aunt Kathy's got an itch that only you can scratch, big boy.
Barney: Oh God! Why did he think he could build his own helicopter?
Robin: Come on, daddy, break me off a piece of that white chocolate.
Barney: Well, if he needs a transplant, he can have mine. I'll be right there.
(Barney stammers and gets up to leave, walks by Ted and Robin's booth)
Barney: See you guys later.
(Barney walks out of bar)
--
hot stuff是俚語萬人迷的意思
而itch,itchy是癢癢的,因此itch是癢或是渴望;scratch就是抓癢了;)
Robin這兒在說什麼不用解釋吧XD

helicopter是直升機。
補充一個helicopter parents,直升機家長,指家長如同直升機一般,密切跟在孩子身邊緊盯著孩子的一舉一動。

 (http://goo.gl/iVNBUk)


white chocolate,有點不知道怎麼解釋欸。如果有人知道幫忙翻一下。
但我這裡想補充一些:
美國人有時候會用一些和食物相關的詞來代稱特定種族或族群,如果各位有看2 broke girl,應該會超常看到。
像是banan就是外表是黃種人,但內心是白種人的思想;
white chocolate則是白人,但他的行為、舉止一切都像是黑人;
rice/potato queen則分別指亞洲控和西餐控(常用在gay間);
fruit fly則指和男同志友好的女性們…
如果各位有別的也歡迎補充:3

最後的transplant則是移植。這個詞很簡單,trans是轉換;plant是植物
因此器官移植就可以直接叫:organ transplant





4)
Ted覺得自己被Marshall和Lily排擠了,於是開始做很多宣示主權的事情。
--
Lily: Man, Ted's been acting weird. He started labeling all his food. He even carved "Ted" into that block of cheese.
Marshall: Yeah. Well, now it's Ed's.
Lily: He's not cool with me moving in.
Marshall: No, that's not it. I mean, you basically lived here all along. Ted loves you.
Lily: So, what's he PMS'ing about?
(Lily and Marshall take food into other room to eat at table)
Marshall: I don't know. But when he's ready to talk to me about it he'll come and talk to me about it.
Lily: Are you kidding? You guys never talk about anything. (knock on front door) He'll just let it fester under the surface until he does something big and passive-aggressive.
Marshall: You clearly don't know Ted. (Marshall opens front door)
Delivery guy: Delivery for Ted Mosby.
--
now it's Ed's,挺有趣XD
因為Ted到處label his things(在他的東西上貼標籤),甚至在cheese上面還用刀字刻(carve)他的名字!
可能因為Marshall吃了一口吧,把T給吃了,最後只剩ED'S XD

再來PMS,Pre-Menstrual Syndrome,經前綜合症,大或小寫好像都可以。

 (http://goo.gl/kbv5Oi)


就是指有些女生生理期來之前情緒比較不穩定XD
來談談生理期吧,可能在生活上很好用。
有時候會說MC,其實是menstrual cycle的縮寫,英文的生理期較常用:period, menstruation, menses
另外幾項衛生用品也分別介紹一下:
衛生棉:sanitary pad/feminine pad/pad
衛生護墊:panty liner
衛生棉條:tampon
止痛藥:pain-killer,或直接說藥名也可以。
(偷偷說,美國的衛生棉真是超難用的,如果女孩們要出國還是帶自己習慣的比較好)

fester是膿瘡,Lily譬喻他們兩人就是因為什麼都不說,很多問題就像膿瘡一樣在表面之下越來越嚴重

最後passive-aggressive是消極反抗。
其實在影集也常聽到。passive消極的、被動的;aggressive則是侵略性的
舉例來說好了,可能遇到問題,彼此卻拒絕對事件本身進行討論、和解,反而用反諷等方式反向攻擊。

 (http://goo.gl/WWk7CQ)






5)
Ted和Marshall為了誰可以拿到公寓而上演了一場劍鬥:3
--
Ted: OK, but this time, jump up and I'll swipe your legs. (Marshall and Ted hit swords, Ted spins around and they hit swords again, Marshall jumps up and Ted swipes sword beneath his feet, the continue sword fight) Look. Here's why I should get the place. You and Lily, you get to be married. What do I get, right? I get to be unmarried, alone, minus two roommates. And on top of that I could be homeless. Does that seem fair?
Marshall: Oh, boo-freakin-hoo.
Ted: What?
Marshall: Woe is me. I'm not married yet. My ovaries are shrinking. Ted, if you wanted to be married by now you would be but you're not. And you know why? Because you're irrationally picky. You're easily distracted and you're utterly anhedonic.
Ted: Anhedonic?
Marshall: Anhedonic. It means you can't enjoy anything.
Ted: The hell I can't. I'm enjoying this.
Marshall: I know, this rules. (Marshall and Ted continue sword fight) Hey, I'm sorry I took the swords down.
--
boo-hoo是模擬人在哭的聲音,所以當我們說boo-hoo的時候是有點在取笑、或是諷刺
而freaking其實就是比較好聽的f*cking,還挺常聽到對吧XD?
像是Are you freaking kidding me???!!!之類的
因此整句boo-freakin-hoo就是在挖苦Ted總是在那裡自怨自艾

 (http://goo.gl/dGoRIi)


而Marshall下一段話在模仿Ted。
Woe是悲哀,因此Woe is me就是:啊!我真倒楣、我真衰的意思
而ovary是卵巢,就是在笑Ted是個女的XD"

Marshall覺得Ted至今仍然找不到對象,就是因為他太挑剔了。
picky就是挑剔,我都這樣記:pick是撿東西,但一直撿來撿起找不到想要的,就是挑剔
rational是合理的、理性的,加上字首i、重覆r變irrational,就是非理性的。
也就是Ted他的挑剔常常沒由來的,並不是理性上的挑剔。

【劉芬泥 我想補充一點,irrational 這個字字根是rational沒錯,但字首應該是ir, ir-是in-的變體,in-表示形容詞的反義,遇到字根為r開始時n會同化變成ir, 遇到字根是l開頭則會同化變成il (illegal),字根為p或m開始,則變成 im (impossible, immortal)】

utterly是全然的,例句:I fail utterly to see why.

最後anhedonic,後來Marshall有解釋,就是:you can't enjoy anything.
應該是個心理學名詞(?不確定,知道的幫忙告知:)),指有些人就是無法從任何活動之中體會到快樂的感覺,Urban dictionary解釋為:to be unable to experience pleasure

最後,Marshall又說了一次___rule!
rule就是很讚、awesome的意思啊!已經出現非常多次囉,大家一定要記住:3




6)
Barney提出了Lemon Law,但Robin不相信,於是B就給R隨意set了一個約會
R和一位科技geek去了科幻餐廳,B屢次打電話給R暗示她可以趁機離開;結果最後R真的得離開,因為Lily被刺傷了…
--
Robin: Oh God, I'll be right there. (Robin hangs up phone) Kevin, I'm so sorry. I have to go. My friend's been stabbed with a sword.
Kevin: Hab SoSlI' Quch! You have no honor. You know, if you felt this way you could have just been upfront.
Robin: No, I swear that was a real call. I just...Oh forget it.
(Robin gets up and leaves restaurant)
--
之前一直沒有機會談Lemon Law,現在來談一下。
Lemon Law其實不是Barney發明的哦!
Lemon law是一種美國的消費者保護法,主要是在保障汽車買主的權益。其起源於美國經濟學家喬治•阿克羅夫(George A. Akerlof)所發表的一篇經濟學論文,談論二手車市場的影響機制。作者以不同的水果代替不同特性的二手車,像是櫻桃、水蜜桃來譬喻車況優良的二手車,而用酸澀的檸檬來譬喻狀況不佳的二手車商品。
可見Wiki:http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/檸檬法

http://goo.gl/ZANJbN



好啦進入正文。
stab是刺。

而Kevin說的「Hab SoSlI' Quch!」是克林貢語,出自Star trek!
這是一句汙辱人的話,翻成英文是:Your mother has a smooth forehead:你媽有平滑的額頭。
呃…這可能要有戲迷來幫我們解釋一下,我們目前的理解是:因為克林貢人的額頭都皺皺的,所以…

【Kate Li 我有在找到是說:
Your mother has a smooth forehead: 
This is particularly insulting because Klingons take pride in their forehead ridges. We have even seen on Star Trek: The Next Generation that a common tradition among Klingons is to take cast molds of a child's forehead ridges; so to disparage the ridges of a Klingon is a bad insult to be sure.
他們真的以有隆起的額頭而自豪!!!】

 (http://goo.gl/K1BrG6)



啊好啦這週就到這兒,明天就換第九集了哦!
雖然Thanksgiving 過了,但第九集的thanksgiving也歡迎大家與我們一起過:3


沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...