How I Met Your Mother S01E07 - Matchmaker 小筆記


1)

第七集談的主題是,Love is not a science.
故事和Robin有次報導了"matchmaker"有關。
--
(newscast on TV)
Robin: I'm here with Ellen Pierce, New York's premiere matchmaker. Ellen, your company, Love Solutions boasts a 100% success rate. What's your secret?
Ellen: Science. Everything in life can be broken down to ones and zeros, even love. All I have to do is input the variables, run the algorithm, and presto manifesto, you have a soulmate, and it works. Just ask all of my happy couples. And these are just the attractive ones, I have more photos in the bathroom.
Robin: Love Solution's Ellen Pierce, a beacon of hope for New York city's lovelorn. Robin Scherbatsky...
--
matchmaker,其實有點像是台灣的月老銀行。雖然沒有很具體的說這家公司在幹麼,但應該是用機器、程式等,將參加的人的喜好、個性等相配吧!

variable是變數,algorithm是演算法。(但這些我都是外行啊…)

presto是魔術師在說的「變!」,然後就會跑出很棒的東西出來的感覺,有指某事像變戲法一樣迅速容易;
而manifesto可能就是excellent或magnificent!

a beacon of sth.,beacon可以指燈塔,所以這個片語就是指某某事的救星、某某事的明燈
lovelorn則是失戀的或患相思病的人。

其實我挺喜歡這集的主題的,愛情真的能夠用這樣的變數就找到一輩子的Mr. Right嗎?
或許有時候可以吧?


Iju Hsu's photo.Iju Hsu's photo.



2)
Barney很匆忙的衝進Ted家,大喊:我的船快沉了!!!
--
[APARTMENT: Ted sitting on couch reading magazine, Ted hears squeaking and tiny footstep noises, Barney barges into the apartment]
Barney: Ted, hurry, you gotta help me. My boat is sinking.
Ted: What?
Barney: My boat is sinking.
Ted: You have a boat?
Barney: Yes, I bought a boat last year at a police auction. I just got a call from a guy down at the marina that it's leaning starboard at a 45 degree angle. If I don't get there right now, it's gonna capsize. Now, come on!
(Ted and Barney run out of the apartment)
--
這段其實是些生詞啦,而且都和「船」有關。
很多時候會有關於船的行話出現,尤其是the captian出現之後更明顯XD
來介紹一下

barge是闖入的意思,但是接下來的話剛好都和船有關,這個詞也有指「用船運輸」的意思。
acution是拍賣會
capsize則是「翻覆」

starboard是船的右舷,但是左舷卻叫:Port side
也因為行話太多了,Friends的Joey曾經為了這件事而和Rach鬧彆扭XD (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At5xHpybXmE
我現在重看才發現原來如此啊!
有挺多典故,眾說紛紜,我想放上一個給大家看看

「源於海洋霸權維京人,他們稱呼自己船艦的船舷(側邊)為"Board"。
因維京人習慣將方向舵 (Star; Steering Oar) 裝置在右側,所以船艦的右舷就被稱為Starboard。
而因為方向舵裝置在右側,所以船在靠岸時,需用左側貼近岸邊上下貨物,所以左側就被稱為"larboard"。
後來發現在海上吵雜的環境中,水手常常會把Starboard與Larboard搞混,因此,維京人就把左側船舷改稱為"靠港口 (Port) 的一側",也就是說稱為Portboard。」

btw,上次讀書會談到這段就想到facebook的語言設定
裡面有一個是「English(Pirate)」,超有趣的哦大家可以去看XDDDD




3)
Barney利用「翻船」來騙Ted到了戀愛公司XD
沒想到Barney很快就被請出去了。
--
Ellen: Get out.
Barney: What?
Ellen: I get 15 guys like you every week. Jerks who just want to meet vulnerable women, nail 'em and never call them again.
Barney: Oh my God, people do that.
Ellen: You wanna do this the easy way or the hard way?
Barney: What's the hard way? Security roughs me up and tosses me out?
Ellen: That's the easy way. The hard way is that I stomp the crap out of you myself.
(Barney looks like he doesn't believe her, Ellen stands up quickly, Barney stands up to run away)
Barney: OK, Ted, let's go.
(Ted gets up to leave)
Ellen: Not you, you stay.
(Ted and Ellen sit back down)
Ellen: You're cute. You're an architect. Good career and you didn't use an obvious alias on your application like your friend, Jack Package.
--
vulnerable是指脆弱的

「The easy way or the hard way」則是你想要來硬的還是來軟的XD
rough sb. up是粗暴對待的意思,給個例句:
Other prisoners roughed Michael up.

最後是alias,是別名的意思。
而Barney別名超多,最有名的想必是Lorenzo von Matterhorn吧XDDDD
這是Lorenzo的網站哦,劇組真的超用心XD
http://www.lorenzovonmatterhorn.com/





4)
Ted發現了一位和他契合度9.6的女孩
--
Ted: My God, this is incredible. We're like the same person. Sarah O'Brien loves brunch. She wants to have two children. Her guilty pleasure song is Summer Breeze by Seals and Croft.
……
Ted: OK, this is getting weird, the similarities go on and on. She hates phonies. I totally hate phonies too. She's a dermatologist. I have skin.
Barney: You wanna be her boyfriend. She already has a boyfriend. It's uncanny.
Ted: All right, but it wouldn't hurt to check her out, right? See what my 9.6 looks like in person, as, you know, a frame of reference. And if she thinks she can do 11.45% better, who am I to deny her that?
Future Ted VO: That's right, I did the math.
--
先是第一段"guilty pleasure",是指喜歡,卻害怕被別人發現的事情(可能太俗或是品味太獨特)
像是可以說,Justin Bieber's "Baby" is my guilty pleasure song>//<

再來phony應該是騙子、偽君子
dermatologist,則是皮膚科醫師
uncanny是不可思議的、離奇的




5)
Lily和Marshall一直說服Robin世上真的有蟑螂鼠
--
Robin: Wow, that's a pretty sophisticated trap. You think the road runner's gonna fall for it?
Lily: OK, we get it. You're skeptical. But Marshall and I, we're believers. We believe.
Marshall: Yeah, look around. The universe is mysterious and awesome. You got the Bermuda triangle, ghosts, Big Foot.
Robin: Bad maps. Creaky houses. Hillbilly in a gorilla suit.
Marshall: Aliens.
(Robin shakes her head)
Marshall: Oh, come one, you gotta give me aliens. Stonehenge. Area 51. There's alien crap all over the place.
Robin: You can't be serious.
Marshall: My friend, you just poked the bear.
--
sophisticated是精緻的,其實有一點諷刺的說哈

再來是
skeptical<->believer
雖然不能完全對等,但skeptical是懷疑論的,而believer則是相信者
Marshall和Lily是相信世上很多奇妙的事情,像尼斯湖水怪(Loch Ness Monster)、大腳怪(bigfoot)、百慕達三角洲(Bermuda triangle)、鬼……的人,但Robin卻認為這些事情都有科學根據。
如果有人看過Modern family,有一集其實也有點像這兒,我很喜歡那集。

最後Marshall說:you just poked the bear.
就是哼哼,你激怒了我!!!

沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...