How I Met Your Mother S02E17 - Arrivederci, Fiero 小筆記

How I Met Your Mother S02E17 - Arrivederci, Fiero

IMDB:
When Marshall's car doesn't quite make it to 200,000
miles without dying completely, everybody reminisces about their greatest
memories with the car.


1)
前情提要:
Marshall與他的老Fiero的故事。
[Ted and Marshall are in a car.]
Ted : This is awesome.
Marshall : I can't believe this moment's finally here. One more mile and my little boy turns 200,000.
Ted : Your baby Fiero's grown into a really old man Fiero. And just like an old man, he leaks fluid, smells stale, makes weird noises out the back.
Marshall : Yeah, he does. Hey, light up those cigars in the glove compartment. They're real Cubans. I got 'em in Chinatown last year just for this moment.
Ted : Uh, Marshall, I'm not saying you were definitely ripped off, but these are chopsticks wrapped in napkins.
Marshal : What are you talking about?
Ted : Whoa, pothole. The car stops.
Marshall : What? No. Oh. No. No, no, no. No, there's only .8 miles to go. Come on, buddy. Buddy!
Ted : Is it cool if I still light these?
--
.stale:陳舊、不新鮮
上面所說的leaks fluid, smells stale, makes weird noises等等,一方面形容老人,一方面也形容汽車,即流口水/老人味/發出怪聲。
算是metaphor吧!
.compartment:車廂(http://goo.gl/LskBhQ)
或可以說我們車前座的小隔室,可以放手套、證件的那個

.rip off:撕掉,但此指搶錢、被敲竹槓、剝削。
我們會用rip something off來指撕掉某個東西,這裡因為Ted發現雪茄根本只是筷子,所以他這樣說XD
.pothole:坑洞(http://goo.gl/ITB0Gw)




2)
前情提要:
Marshall的Fiero壞了...........
Ted (voix off) : Kids, sometimes life forces us to be someone we didn't want to be. When that happens, we often try to hold on to a little piece of who we were. Maybe a tattoo. Or a piece of jewelry. A tiny souvenir that reminds us, "This is who I really am." Marshall's souvenir was not so tiny, but the more he found himself being pushed toward the corporate world and away from his dream of saving the environment, the tighter he held on to that Fiero.
[Ted and Marshall are in a garage.]
Ted : Hey. One good thing: we're off the hook for the folding party today.
Marshall : Hey. It's very important to both Lily and me that there be a handmade origami crane in each of our wedding's... I couldn't even get through it. Thank God.
Ted : Hey, your car's going to be fine. This is the best auto shop around. Look at this certificate. One of the mechanics here finished a 64-ounce steak.
(Lily, Robin and Barney arrive at the garage.)
Lily: Surprise.
Robin: We felt bad that you guys were missing the super-fun origami folding party, so... we suggested moving it here.
Barney: We insisted.
Ted: Terrific.
Barney : How's the Fiero?
Marshall: She's still in triage.
Ted: She? I thought it was your little boy.
Lily: Oh, it goes back and forth. It's sort of a tranny car.
Robin: How long have you had her... slash him?
Marshall: My brothers handed it down to me when I was 16.
Robin: Oh, how nice of them.
Marshall: Not really.
--
.souvenir
紀念品
.off the hook:
從……脫身。
是從釣魚這個意象來的哦!(http://goo.gl/NJtJcM)

.origami:日本傳統紙藝
.crane:鶴

合起來就是紙鶴(http://goo.gl/3gGnjh)。
.in triage:
醫學用語,指治療類選法,根據緊迫性和救活的可能性在戰場上決定哪些人優先治療的方法。
這裡其實就表示它的Fiero在急救囉。



3)
前情提要:
Marshall和Ted是如何變成好朋友的呢?都是因為Fiero的關係啊!
[Flashback. Ted’s driving the car…]
Ted : Hey, we got some time. What do you say we get off the highway, take the road less traveled, you know? Robert Frost.
Marshall : Doesn't seem like a smart idea.
Ted : Too late. I'm taking this exit. Who's not fun enough now, Karen?
Marshall : Then we got lost. Where the hell are we?! I'm pulling over.
Ted : No, keep driving.
Marshall : We're almost out of gas, and we might not even be on a road anymore.
Ted : It's below zero out. If we pull over, we could be snowed in for days. Plus, I only have, like, six granola bars and three bottles of water.
Marshall : Nah, I threw them out.
Ted : What?!
Marshall : No food or drink in the Fiero.
Ted : No food or drink in the F...? You haven't washed your sheets since... (Voix off) :Thus began the longest night of our lives.
Marshall : Pretty sure that my foot is frozen solid.
Ted : Marshall... there's a very real chance that we're gonna be snowed in here for days. If I die first, do whatever you need to survive. Eat my flesh. Slice me open like a tauntaun, whatever.
Marshall : Thanks, Ted. You're a good friend. And if I die first, you just leave my body alone.
Ted : What? I just said you could cut me open and crawl inside me.
Marshall : Yeah, don't do any of that stuff to me; it skeeves me out.
Ted : But... but you're dead, and I'm gonna die if I don't.
Marshall : Wasn't an easy decision.
Ted : This is all because of your insane no-food rule.
Marshall : It's perfectly rational.
(They start fighting.)
Ted : Hey! My spectacles! Hey. I know we're low on gas, but can we turn on the heat for just a minute?
Marshall : Okay. Dude... I hate to say this... but it's so cold... there's only one way that we're gonna make it through this night.(they’re both in the back seat in each other arms) We should've kept driving.
Ted: Come on, Marshall.
Marshall : No. No. We might die now. I may never see Lily again. I never told anybody this, but... I've known for a long time that I'm gonna marry that girl. If we survive this, someday I'm gonna marry her. I'm sorry about your spectacles.
Ted : That's okay. They were decorative. Hey, Marshall.
Marshall : Yeah?
Ted : Are you still thinking about Lily?
Marshall : Yeah.
Ted :Please stop.(voix off) And so Marshall and I thought we were gonna die out there in the middle of nowhere. But funny thing...
(Ted and Marshall are sleeping in the car which is next to a hotel. A man knocks on the window.)
Man: Hey. You lovers better just keep on driving.
Marshall: Zitch dog!
Ted: Damn it!
--
.granola:燕麥
granola bar(http://goo.gl/ebab9e)其實就是一種燕麥棒,也可以視為能量棒,是大家運動的好朋友:3


.Tauntaun:Star wars的一種生物(http://goo.gl/nZt4bk
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tauntaun
M和T在談的讓我想到,如果在危急時刻吃同類,這是能夠接受的事情嗎?

.skeeve:是個動詞,使噁心、反胃的意思。
Urban Dictionary解釋:to gross out; to disgust; to make your skin crawl, sometimes with undertones of sexual deviance/perversion
.spectacles:眼鏡
原來!!!原來Ted大學時期戴的眼鏡根本是用來裝飾用!




4)
前情提要:
而Lily和Robin變成好友,也和Fiero有關係。
--
[End of flashback. In the garage…]
Lily : You said you were gonna marry me that long ago? That is so sweet.
Ted : That trip is when Marshall and I became best friends.
Barney : With privileges, from the sound of it.
Mechanic : Eriksen. (Marshall follows the mechanic)
Barney : Wow. Looks like he really needs a hug. Ted.
Marshall : He said it would be at least 3,000 bucks to make it run again. And even then, there's no guarantee.
Ted : Well, it's a pretty old car.
Robin : Yeah. You can keep prolonging its life, but it's really mostly machine at this point.
Marshall : I know that it's a lot of money, but it's my Fiero, you know? I'm about to graduate and take some sellout corporate law job, and without that Fiero, I'm just another guy in a suit.
Barney : How dare you...
Robibn : Hey.
Marshall : I've been through so much in that car. The suicidal cat. (Marshall are kissing in the car when a cat jumps in the roof.) Hitchhiking Waldo. (a guy is sitting between Barney and Marshall in the car)The homeless guy who broke in through the window and threw up all over the backseat.
Robin : Lily, don't. Be strong. Do not go all "prisoner's dilemma" on me.
Lily : The car's on its deathbed, Robin. I have to clear my conscience.
Marshall : Guys, what are you talking about?
Lily : Okay. Shortly after we met Robin, she and I were jonesing for Thai food from this one place.
--
.privilege:特權、特別待遇
.prolong:延長
.prisoner's dilemma:翻譯為「囚徒困境」
感謝Tony超精采的解釋,其實就是:
犯人A和B被審問,如果A、B兩人都不出賣對方,其實兩人可以無罪釋放。
但,因為兩人被審問時無法彼此溝通,因此其中一人(假設為A)也有可能會為了自己的利益(如減輕刑期)而出賣對方。
也就是:因此彼此出賣雖違反最佳共同利益,反而是自己最大利益所在。
這樣子就變成A(1/2刑期)、B(全刑期),這樣的情況實際比兩人都不出賣彼此來得麻煩。
可看這張圖:http://goo.gl/qYmofU
如果大家有很好的例子,也不妨跟大家分享哦:D

.clear my conscience:
conscience是良知
片語則是:have a clear conscience (about someone or something): to be free of guilt about someone or something.
可能因為之前一直受良心譴責,最後不得已只好招供XD
.jonesing for
十分渴望、渴求



沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...