How I Met Your Mother S02E06 - Aldrin Justice 小筆記

IMDB:
Ted gets Lily a job at his firm, but she only makes trouble for Ted when he refuses to stand up to his boss. And Barney sleeps with Marshall's law school professor to help his grades, but she's less than impressed with his prowess.



1)
Lily從SF回來之後,一直在找尋她未來的方向。
其實就像Ted說的,可能到了二十幾歲,還沒找到自己要做些什麼…
--
Ted from 2030: Kids, when you reach your late twenty, you might be surprise to discover you still don't have life quite figured out. Like with aunt Lily. Even though she was back from San Francisco, she was still on a quest to find herself.
[Robin's apartment.]
Lily: It's just that all I've ever done is teach kindergarten. I want to get out there and change the world. I want to find my passion.
Ted from 2030: And she did find it.
Lily (coming in Robin's): I'm going to be a life coach.
Ted from 2030: In fact, she found it again and again.
Lily: I'm going to be a marine biologist... Slam poet... Beekeeper! Not a beekeeper.
Robin (on the phone): Her newest lifelong dream? Singing in a punk rock band.
Ted: What is she doing for money through all this?
Robin: Oh, she's been waiting tables at Big Wave Luau.
Ted: Wait, you mean that Hawaiian place where they wear those embarrassing outfits?
Robin: No.
[Big Wave Luau.]
Marshall: Here she comes. Here she comes.
Lily: Welcome to big Wave Luau. Can I tiki your drink order? Aw, crap.
Robin: I'm sorry.
Barney: Oh, hi, Lily. We were just in the neighborhood, thought we'd get some lunch. We didn't even know you'd be here. (Marshall takes a photo of her).
Lily: What do you want?
Ted: I don't think that's how you're supposed to greet a customer at Big Wave Luau.
Lily: Aloha, island visitors. The big wave brought you to our humble luau. For that, we thank you. Or in my native tongue, mahalo.
Barney: I didn't catch your name. Did you guys catch her name?
Ted: No.
Lily: My name is Anuhea. It means cool and fragrant,much like any of our 12 specialty drinks.
Ted: Robin, nothing to add?
Robin: No. Lily is my friend and I'm not going to make fun of her for trying to follow her dreams.
Lily: Thank you.
Robin: Although, you might want to bring out the big hawaiian drum because I'm pretty sure today's my birthday.
--
.life coach
人生導師,以心理學、社會學等角度,去幫助人們找尋自我認同以及達成個人生涯目的。
.slam poet
有種活動叫”poetry slam”,中文或可翻為「尬詩大會」,為:where amateur poets compete against each other by taking turns reciting their poems on stage, while being judged by audience members who volunteer to be the judges for that night
這種slam poet會對特定的觀眾朗讀自己的詩、創作,或是別人的作品。
.beekeeper(http://goo.gl/oHUswp)
養蜂人。
Lily的爸爸後來也開始養蜂,就是衍用Lily這次的服裝和工具XD
可以去翻S07E15 "The Burning Beekeeper"找找:p


.tiki(http://goo.gl/lZb7GW)
tiki是一種木造雕像,來自紐西蘭原住民毛利人(Māori)神話,為最初之人。
這裡是利用"take"的諧音

.luau
夏威夷土語的「盛宴」,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luau
.mahalo
夏威夷語的「謝謝」。 e.g. Mahalo for everything.




2)
Ted不小心趕跑了他們公司的一位助理..........
--
Marshall: Dude, that is cold-blooded.
Ted: It was an honest mistake. Look, when somebody opens up a container with an entire chicken in it, it's okay to assume they made lunch for everyone.
Robin: Ted, that girl didn't quit. You destroyed her.
Ted: It was an whole chicken. And did I mention she had 12 sides?
Barney: Oh, now you're gonna bash her figure. Real classy, Ted.
Ted: So, Lily, what do you say? Do you want the job?
Lily: What would I be doing?
Ted: Basically, you're sort of a general office assistant.
--
.cold-blooded
冷血的
.bash
打擊
.figure
外形、形貌
這裡補充一下,Ted和Barney的這段話是雙關。
Ted說:Ted: It was an whole chicken. And did I mention she had 12 sides?
這裡的sides指的是配菜
然而我們知道,sides也可以是幾何學的「邊」,所以可變為12變形(感覺起來體積就變得很龐大)
因此Barney才會回:Oh, now you're gonna bash her figure. 說Ted怎麼可以對她人身攻擊XD



3)
Barney決定要攻克Marshall的Cougar老師XD
--
[Marshall's law school.]
Marshall: Okay, wait, wait, wait. That's professor Lewis's office there.
Barney: Okay, let's take a look. Oh, yeah, it's a cougar all right. A prime specimen. See, you can identify a cougar by a few key characteristics. Start with the hair. The cougar keeps up with current hairstyles as a form of camouflage. The prey may not realize that he's engaged a cougar until he's already being dragged, helpless, back to her lair. Now, the blouse. The cougar displays maximum cleavage possible to captivate her prey. If you're watching them bounce, she's about to pounce. See the claws? Long and sharp, to ward off rival females... Or open alimony checks. Yeah, this one's a beaut. Okay, let the hunt begin.
Marshall: Wait, wait, wait.I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with you hunting my constitutional law professor.
Barney: Who do you rather have grading your papers: a savage, man-eating jungle cat, or a purring, satisfied kitty?
Marshall: Go, Barney. Go mount and stuff that cougar.
Barney (stepping into the office, speaking with an Italian accent): Scusi, I am Luigi, italian exchange student. I was, uh, walking to class, but then I noticed you... Bella principessa...
Pr Lewis: Tell me what you want or get out.
Barney: Direct. I like that. The name's Barney. What I want... is you.
Pr Lewis: Turn around. My place. Two hours. Don't be tardy.
--
.specimen
標本、樣本
.camouflage
偽裝,動物保護色
(連貓貓也會camouflage!!!!!!!!! http://goo.gl/uTvgcI)

.blouse
女襯衫
.cleavage
裂開、劈開,也就是襯衫前的V領深度
或是事業線也可以叫cleavage
.captivate
迷惑住
.bounce
虛張聲勢
.pounce
猛撲
.ward off
擋住、防止
.rival
競爭者
.alimony
[法律]贍養費
--
Barney這段話根本就是Discovery節目嘛XD




4)
Ted和他的老闆,與Barney和Professor Lewis...
--
[MacLaren's.]
Lily: I can't believe how Mr. Druthers treats people. And that building? Talk about overcompensating.
Ted: He's not usually this bad. It's just that the partners have made it very clear this project is make or break for us, so lately he's been a little testy. (The girls giggle) You know what I mean: crotchety. (Giggles) I'm just saying it's been hard on him. (More giggles). All right stop.
Robin: Did you show lily your design?
Ted: No.
Lily: What design?
Ted: It's nothing.
Robin: It's fantastic. Just for fun, Ted's been working on his own design. And it doesn't look at all like male genitalia. At least, not healthy male genitalia.
Lily: Ted, you should pitch your building to Druthers.
Ted: Are you kidding? He's Hammond Druthers. He's a legend. I'm just part of his team. This building is huge for the firm, so it's really important we don't blow it. (Giggles) All right, enough!
[Pr Lewis' apartment.]
Barney: Oh, my god. Incredible.
Pr Lewis: Hmm... C minus.
Barney: C minus? What are you talking about? I just pulled an all-nighter!
Pr Lewis: You didn't budget your time well, you glossed over some of the most important points, and your oral presentation was sloppy and inconclusive.
--
其實這集是充滿雙關的一集,看前面那段就知道了-///-
我想我不多做解釋,大家自己去想吧XD
.overcompensating
[心理學]過度補償。
出自心理學家阿德勒,指奮力尋求其他滿足來掩飾缺點造成的自卑感。
在這集,Lily認為Ted的Boss就是因為____所以才會建了一個那麼像____的大樓..
 (http://goo.gl/lDYYjK)

.make or break
不成功,便成仁。
.crotchety
乖戾的、脾氣古怪的
 (http://goo.gl/Q02cYC)

.don't blow it
別搞砸了
.budget
預算,也可以指分配時間
.gloss over
gloss本身是「文章註解」的意思,也可以指掩飾、掩蓋
.sloppy
草率的
.inconclusive
不確定的、不得要領的。


5)
[Ted's office.]
Lily: Mr. Druthers asked if you were making the trees or waiting for them to sprout on their own. Then he stared at me until I laughed.
Ted: Okay, I'm done.
Lily: Great. I'll put the paints away. You just go show him.
Ted: Great. Thanks.
Mr Druthers: Well, finally. I wondered whether you were making the trees or waiting for them to sprout on their own.
Ted: Good one, sir. Anyway, here they are.
Mr Druthers: Too green.
Ted: Too green?
Mr Druthers: Yes, the leaves should really be more of a natural brown color. Almost brunette. And think bushier. I want this tower to rise from a thicket of wild, ungroomed, brunette shrubbery. Can you picture it, Ted?
Ted: I can't un-picture it.
Mr Druthers: Good. Oh, my God! It's gone!
Ted: What? What's gone?
Mr Druthers: My baseball signed three times by Pete Rose.
Ted: Well, it's got to be around here somewhere.
Mr Druthers: What do you think, Ted, it just let itself out of its plastic case and rolled away? Somebody stole it.
Ted: Well, um, I better get back to these styrofoam trees.
Mr Druthers: Oh, who cares about the trees? It's just busy work to make you feel like you're contributing.
Ted: Inspiring as always, sir. Lily? Where's she put those paints? (Ted opens one of Lily's desk drawers and find the ball)
--
.sprout
發芽
.brunette
褐色
.bushier
bush是灌木,此是形容詞,指灌木茂密的
.ungroom
groom我們常知道是新郎
但動詞可以指「修飾」,這裡就是未加以修剪的
.shrubbery(http://goo.gl/1y2X3j)
灌木的總稱

.styrofoam(http://goo.gl/TYLyzI)
「聚苯乙烯泡沫塑料」,也就是保麗龍啦XD
它原本是商標名,後來就直接代稱了。





6)
Ted的辦公室,他們即將要將那座______秀給客戶看。
--
[Ted's office.]
Mr Druthers: Hurry up. Clients will be here any moment. Now, slide it closer to his chair. I want this thing to really smack him in the face.
Ted: Mr. Druthers, thank you again for understanding about Lily.
Mr Druthers: Oh. Well, I pity her. I mean, to steal from my office and then write that slanderous note... You might say that Lily was mentally deranged. You might say that, Ted.
Ted: Lily was mentally deranged.
Mr Druthers: You might even say it loud enough for everyone to hear.
Ted: Lily was mentally deranged!
Mr Druthers: Oh! That's a bit harsh, don't you think, Ted?
Man: The clients are here.
Mr Druthers: Excellent. Bring them in.
Ted from 2030: Our client was a major bank and financial services company in Spokane. They wanted a modern skyscraper that still captured the distinct flavor and history of the northwest.
Mr Druthers: Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Spokane national bank building.
Client: That's a penis!
Mr Druthers: That's... that's ridiculous. There's no way this majestic tower can be confused with the male organ of love.
Client: We're not building a penis. You got any other ideas?
Mr Druthers: Other ideas? You said you wanted Hammond Druthers. This is Hammond Druthers.
Client: Well, hats off to your ladyfriends, but I'm not building it. We're done here.
Ted from 2030: The trajectory of my entire career might have been different had I not unwittingly worn my justice khakis that day.
Ted: Wait! We have one more idea for you.
Mr Druthers: Ted, what are you doing?
Ted: I have another design.
Mr Druthers: Sit down, shut up right now.
Ted: No.
--
.smack
拍打
.slanderous
譭謗的、污蔑的
.derange
精神錯亂
.majestic
莊嚴的
.hats off to sb./sth.(http://goo.gl/qE9FS2
脫帽,也就是向某人、某事致意、表達感謝
e.g. Hat's off to Perry for planning the dinner and finding such a good band.

.trajectory(http://goo.gl/VF56UD
軌道


沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...