How I Met Your Mother S02E04 - Ted Mosby, Architect 小筆記

1)
Ted&Robin's first fight。
--
[MacLaren's.]
Both Marshall and Barney: No.
Ted: Yes.
Marshall: Well, all skyscrapers kind of look like a...
Ted: Marshall, it's a 78-story pink marble tower with a rounded top and two spherical entryways at the front.
Marshall: Wow, so it's the whole package.
Barney: Yeah, you did.
Marshall: Had to.
Barney: Oh, dude, if they're selling condos, you got to get me in. And don't give me the shaft.
Marshall: Yeah, you did.
Barney: Had to.
Ted: It's a travesty. It's gonna define the skyline of the city. If it was me, I could've designed something amazing. Instead, I'm spending 12 hours a day designing the cornices.
Marshall: Yeah, you did.
Ted: That wasn't one.
--
呃,這段有點難解釋哈哈。
.skyscraper
摩天大樓
.unveil(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/i260Uu
veil是面紗,像是女生婚紗有時會搭配面紗
加上un,就變成揭開…的幕、面紗。
在美劇也會用unveil指:使(戲)開幕

.spherical
球體的。
以後看到sphere,就知道這和球體有關。
補充幾個單字:
*aerosphere/atmosphere 大氣層
*hemisphere 半球(+ Eastern/Western/Northern/Western)
.condo
一套公寓,為condominium的縮寫。
有時候句子太長,就會縮寫,以下介紹幾個常見的:
*ad:advertisement
*exam:examination
*memo:memorandum
*vet:veterinary
.shaft
可以代指penis,但它也有特別指「莖(stem)」,所以…
.travesty
滑稽
.cornices(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/hFljxb
[建築用語]上楣柱,可看以下圖片!




2)
Robin和Lily在討論吵架的事情。
--
[At the chiropodist's.]
Lily: Listening is the foundation of a relationship. And if he's really droning on, you can always practice saying the alphabet backwards. You know, in case you get pulled over for a DUI.
Robin: I guess I don't know how to do that.
Lily: Yeah, it's really hard, even when you're sober. That's what I tried to explain to the cop.
Robin: No, I mean, I guess I don't know how to do this girlfriend thing. I've never been in a relationship this serious before. I should probably go tell him I'm sorry, shouldn't I? You're trying to do it right now, aren't you?
Lily: What the hell comes before "Q"?
--
.chiropodist(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/QauIdt http://goo.gl/rkp2zK
先談談這個單字。
chiro-是「手」的字根,pod是腳的字根(同時也可以指腳、小孩、教育的字根),應該是「手足病醫生」,也就是專治療雞眼之類的醫生。
但影集內看起來比較像是手足保養的店,後頭有很多指甲油,比較像是manicure/pedicure shop。

 

.drone on(about someone or something)
UD:to lecture or narrate in a low-pitched, dull, and boring manner.
其實有點像是碎碎唸、用單調低沉的方式講話,也有人會用來指嗡嗡聲。
.DUI:
Driving Under the Influence(or Intoxication)
也就是「酒後駕車」。
.sober
清醒


3)
在law school的Party上…
--
Girl 2: Hey, Marshall, where's Lily?
Marshall: I didn't want to ruin the party for everybody this early, but, uh... everyone take a seat. Um... Lily actually called off the wedding this summer to go to San Francisco. So... We're broken up.
Guy 2: Her name wasn't on your lease, was it? 'Cause if not, New York state law, you're not obligated to give her half the deposit when you move.
Marshall: Yeah, that's not really the part I was worried about, guys.
Girl 2: And don't forget the precedent set by Smith v. Rosenblatt, '74. Any personal effects she left in your house or dwelling become yours after 30 days.
Marshall: Guys, can we cease and desist with the lawyer speak for a minute? Love died. The love that made you all believe in love, that's dead now.
Girl 2: You should sue her.
Marshall: Uh, really? On what ground, Kara?
Kara: On the grounds of... shut up.
Ted from 2030: That's our Attorney General.
--
.precedent
先例、前例,法律用語指:判例。
.dwelling(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/LOVCi0
住宅、住處。

.cease and desist(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/KpsK6v
cease, desist這兩個單字都可以指「停止」
但合在一起後,變成法律用語,指法院的命令。
它會要求終止某一項行為(cease),且不得再從事(desist)
接到這個命令或要求的人,之後必須遵守,不然日後會面臨法律訴訟。
(有錯麻煩再指正!)

.Attorney General
總檢察長。
--
所以一群同樣專業的人就會講一大堆行話啊XD





4)
Ted居然要帶女伴去跳舞!
--
[END OF FLASHBACK]
Lily: See? Marshall's still hung up on our breakup. Why? Because I listened to him. It was a strong and nurturing relationship that I threw away like old gum.
Robin: Not that I'm worried or anything, but, um, back to the sun rising over Ted and, uh... Oh, what tasteful way did you describe her?
Guy 2: The girl with the smackable ass.
Robin: Yes, that's the young lady.
[FLASHBACK]
Girl: So, I know the bouncer at this techno club, Posers. Do you feel like dancing?
[END OF FLASHBACK]
Robin: Yeah, okay. There is no way Ted went dancing. Ted hates clubs.
[FLASHBACK]
Ted: Hell, yeah. I love clubs. I mean, I was going to design a cathedral tonight, kind of take a whack at the whole relationship between God and man conundrum. But sure, let's go dancing.
Girl: Yay!
Ted: Wait, let me just check with my friend.
Girl: Okay.
Ted: Hey, Marshall. You up for some super loud, repetitive music that hasn't changed since the mid-90s?
Marshall: Um... only always.
Ted: Let's go.
--
.smackable
smack是「拍」
但加上-able,就變成好拍的,Urban dictionary更有趣,解釋:An ass that just makes you go crazy. XD
.bouncer(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/k3r15V
[美俚]保鏢

.Techno
「鐵克諾」音樂,又名「高科技舞曲」,是一種電子音樂,發源於80年代中期到晚期的密西根州底特律市。

.cathedral(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/LDIlz3
大教堂。
這裡放張Notre dame的照片,世界知名的大教堂之一,超美的!

.conundrum
謎、難解的問題。





5)
Ted居然要和別的女生回家?!
--
[FLASHBACK]
Ted: And then I was all, "No, Frank Gehry, you're on your own this time." And that, my dear, was the end of that hack's career.
Girl: I live across the street.
Ted: That is one hell of a non sequitur.
Girl: You want to come over?
Ted: Well, I don't know. But I suppose I should at least give you a ride home. Hop on. (The girl jumps on Ted's back)
Girl (to the bouncer): I'll see you at book club, Vinny.
Bouncer: Yeah. I'll be bringing the crudités.
Girl: Nice. Giddy up!
Marshall: Dude, dude, what are you doing?
Ted: Galloping.
Marshall: You proved it, all right? The whole "Ted Mosby, architect" things works.
Girl: Architects rule! Whoo-hee!
Marshall: Aren't you a little worried that a certain somebody might find out that you're doing this? This isn't you, Ted.
Ted: It is tonight. Whoo!
--
.Frank Gehry(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/eSA9Mj)
是個美國著的建築師,曾得普利茲克獎,為後現代主義及解構主義建築師。
他的建築、甚至
是私人住宅都成了各地的觀光勝地。


.non sequitur
不合邏輯的推論。
.crudités(圖片來源:http://goo.gl/xcoaOK)
涼拌蔬菜

.Giddy up
出自影集"Seinfeld"(歡樂單身派對),裡面一名叫Kramer的角色常常說的話。
同等於Let's go, let's do it!
 (http://goo.gl/rvxmrj)


.gallop
馳聘、奔騰。


沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...