How I Met Your Mother S01E06 - The Slutty Pumpkin 小筆記



1)
Halloween要到了,他們在討論costume
--
Lily: Guess what came in the mail today?
(Lily sits down next to Marshall)
Marshall: Our costumes? Do they rule?
Lily: They rule. And yours is 100% wool so you won't get hypothermia like last year.
Marshall: Tarzan nipple blue.
Barney: You know what I love about Halloween? It's the one night of the year chicks use to unleash their inner ho-bag. If a girl dresses up as she a witch, she's a slutty witch. If she's a cat, she's a slutty cat. If she's a nurse...
--
rule上一集有提過,sth. rule就表示這件事超awesome的!
反過來會說sth. suck!

再來wool是羊毛,hypothermia是失溫症
可能去年的服裝不是純羊毛,Marshall冷到了吧XD
在這裡要提的是,hypo-是「低、過少」的字根;而hyper-是「高、過多」的字根,例如hypotension(低血壓)、hypothesis(假說);hyperactive(過動的)、hypersensitive(過敏性的)、hypertension(高血壓)。
而therm則通常和「溫度」有關,如thermosphere(氣熱層, -sphere球體)、thermometer(溫度計)、thermogram(溫度記錄圖)
字根、字首能夠很快幫助背單字哦,大家也可以去這個網站http://www.english4formosa.com/ 學習哦:D

再來是Tarzan是泰山,nipple blue…呃,就天氣冷的時候會凍傷嘛XD

(http://goo.gl/Pg3Vvx)


chicks除了指小雞,也是妹的意思XD
Friends的Chandler和Joey因為有養chicks and ducks,所以超常用這個哏XD

ho我覺得和whore有同音而雙關的意思,指slut, prostitute…等等
ho-bag就是淫亂的包袱XD?
Unleash是解開
整句話就是指在Halloween這天,女孩子會變得異常的開放
(而且Barney這句話我也聽過Joey講過一模一樣的XDDD)




2)
他們在討論今年的萬聖節服裝。
--
Ted: Hey, I want the Slutty Pumpkin to recognize me and she knows me as a hanging chad.
(Ted puts on his costume as a ballot with a hanging chad)
Ted: What? She thought it was hilarious.
Lily: Yeah, four years ago, but nobody remembers what the hell a hanging chad is.
Marshall: What a sad commentary on our national attention span that we could forget such a turbulent time in our political history.
Lily (like parrot): Sad commentary. (squawks)
Lily: All right, Polly gotta pee.
--
hanging chad和美國的選舉有關,尤其是2000年小布希與高爾的選舉
當時的選舉是用打洞的方式投票,而因為佛羅里達州的票數過於接近,就要重新驗票;
然而打洞的結果是,每個人的力道不同,因此有些人的票會形成未完整的孔,孔屑沒有完整脫離;這樣究竟是算是正確的票呢?
因此當時就掀起討論,最後高爾放棄而小布希獲勝。
hanging chad就是孔屑要掉不掉的,也有swinging chad, tri-chad, dimpled chad, pregnant chad等等不同名詞出現,大家有興趣可去看:
http://www.tingroom.com/print_126882.html




再來的Polly,是Lily自稱自己。
WHY?
因為在美國Polly常常用作鸚鵡的名字,而「Polly want a cracker」常用來訓練鸚鵡的指令。
為何人們會用Polly呢?有兩個有趣的說法:
1. 英語中Poll是很愛講話的人的口語說法;
2. 西班牙文的雞叫做pollo
(以上有誤麻煩指正,謝謝:D)


(http://i62.tinypic.com/2qkt6j5.jpg)



3)
L&M及Robin&Mike正在double date
--
Lily: I think you won the dish-off tonight, baby. This steak totally bitch-slapped my pork chop.
Marshall: That might be true but your rice pilaf kicked my spinach in the crotch so hard it threw up a little bit.
(Lily feeds Marshall some food)
Mike: (holding a fork of food out) Robin, you have to try this chicken.
Robin: Oh, well, that's good. I'm OK, thanks.
Mike: Really tasty.
Robin: I'm just really feeling this cheeseburger.
Mike: Come on, just try a little bite.
Robin: Dude, I'm kind of in the zone here.
Lily: Oh for God's sake. (Lily grabs Mike's hand and eats food from his fork)
Lily: Really tasty.
--
看到Lily和Marshall那麼好,Mike也想展現他和Robin甜蜜的一面,無奈Robin卻沒什麼反應。

win the dish-off就是指某人點的菜是該桌最好的一道。
X-off就是什麼比賽的意思。

rice palif是手抓飯或燴飯,中亞及伊朗的傳統食物
spinach則是菠菜。

kick sb. in the crotch,打得對方完敗。
crotch是褲襠,當你踢某人褲襠……

再來in the zone,是進入某種狀態的意思;
因為Robin太enjoy她的漢堡了XD
如果有人看過《黑子的籃球》這部漫畫,他們也有超~強的in the zone哦,眼睛還會發射光XDDDDDD


(http://goo.gl/WYbRBf)


最後for God's sake就是看在老天的份上!

(http://goo.gl/HgNhqq)





4)
聲稱被Ted說服的Barney留在無聊的派對上。
--
Barney: Hey.
Hula Girl: Hey.
Barney: So, what does a fella have to do to get lei'd around here? Yeah.
Hula Girl: Right, cuz I'm wearing a lei.
(Hula Girl walks away)
Barney: It isn't funny if you explain the joke.
(Ted walks over to Barney)
Barney: Let's bail.
Ted: Oh, Barney, come on, I'm having fun. It's really great seeing these guys again.
Barney: Name one person you know at this party.
Ted: Well, there's ninja, back of horse. Where's front of horse? That guys a riot. Where is he?
Barney: OK, I'm leaving, but just know that this Victoria's Secret party is on a yacht. And what will be sticking to that yacht? The Barnacle. (points to self)
Ted: Really? That's the nickname now?
Barney: Yeah, the Barnacle.
Ted: The Barnacle.
Barney: That's it. Barnacle out. (Barney walks away)
Ted: Have fun, Barnacle.
--
lei是夏威夷姑娘身上都會有的小花圈:D
而lei'd和laid同音,而get laid就是ONS(One Night Stand)的意思,
所以Barney那句話就是說:男人要怎麼才能拿到花圈->男人要怎樣才能一夜情?


(http://goo.gl/Sh38KZ)


再來let's bail上次說過了,就是let's leaving的意思

再來的sb. is a riot
就是指某個人很有趣的意思

再來為何Barney要叫Barnacle呢?當初我看有人翻作「北極鵝」我覺得超怪的。
這次查了一下…首先,音很像。
再來,他說他要到遊艇(yacht)上和Victoria's Secret(有名的女性內衣品牌)黏在一塊,而barnacle可以指兩種動物,一是北極鵝,一是藤壺XD
剛好就像藤壺黏在別人身上一樣的感覺!
而Barnacle也有口語指瞎糾纏的人的意思,很貼切吧哈哈

 (http://goo.gl/DQTgZz)





5)
Robin試圖要和Mike親近一點,決定一起分享甜點。However..
--
(Robin grabs dessert from Mike)
Mike: Yeah, looks like we're both hungry.
(Mike reaches over for dessert)
Robin: Hey, is that Gary Oldman? (pointing behind Mike and Marshall)
Mike: Wait, where?
(Mike and Marshall turn around to look, Robin tries to scarf down the sundae)
Mike: I don't see...
(Mike turns back around to see Robin trying to eat the sundae as fast as she can, Robin looks up to see everyone looking at her)
Robin: Brain freeze.
--
Robin完全就沒有想要分甜點的意思啊!!!
Robin doesn't share food!!!

首先Gary Oldman大家應該看過,是有名的英國演員,常演壞蛋反派角色,像是《沈默的羔羊2:人魔》裡的Hannibal;也有演過《Harry Potter》內的天狼星!

(http://goo.gl/FtAhOq)


再來scarf down the sundae,scarf sth. down就是很快、很急的狼吞虎嚥。
來個例句:Are you going to scarf this whole thing down? Here, scarf down this sandwich.

最後是Brain freeze
大家吃冰淇淋或冰品應該吃太快有時候會頭腦痛痛的,這就是brain freeze
中文叫大腦凍結,又稱為冰淇淋頭痛(ice-cream headache)、冷刺激頭痛(cold-stimulus headache),學名為翼齶神經節疼痛,通常因食用冰冷的食物所造成的急促頭痛。聽說會越吃越嚴重哦!!!

(http://goo.gl/d3xLbA)




6)
Barney穿上企鵝裝要到了Hula girl的電話了!
--
Hula Girl: Wait a minute. You're that lame army guy.
Barney: What? No no, that's some other guy and he was a kick-ass fighter pilot
Hula Girl: I cannot believe I gave you my number
Barney: Yeah, well, you did, thanks.
Hula girl: Well, give it back.
Barney: Uh, I don't think so. I earned it fair and square. I'm calling you.
Hula Girl: But I'm never gonna go out with you.
Barney: But how will you know it's me? I'm a master of disguise. Yeah.
(Hula Girl sighs and walks away)
Ted: Nice.
Barney: Come on, Ted, Victoria's Secret party now. Let's go.
Ted: I'm staying.
Barney: Fine. Fine. (puts his flipper up towards Ted)
Ted: What are you doing?
Barney: I'm flippering you off.
--
kick-ass是awesome、了不起的意思,也可以指戰勝某人!
e.g. A: Wow, you fixed my computer in less than 10 minutes. You’re good!
B: Yep, I just kick ass!
e.g. They are going to get their asses kicked
噢再給大家多一些ass用語吧>///<
Kiss ass拍馬屁;
asshole,不是個東西,展現對某人的厭惡;
jackass:同前,但語氣較輕;
pain in the ass:形容某人很討厭(也可說pain in the neck)。

fair and square是正大光明的意思!

最後flippering you offXD
是比中指啊比中指,然而因為Barney正penguin-suit up,而flipper也是指鰭(像企鵝的手),所以一語雙關啊

(http://goo.gl/zlbvKk)



7)
Mike決定和Robin分手,Robin開始思考喜歡「自己一個人」是不是因為自己有問題。
--
Robin: I played tennis in high school. You know why? Because it was just me out there. I couldn't even stand playing doubles. I just got dumped.
Ted: Man, that sucks.
Robin: Yeah, it's OK. I wasn't that into him. Story of my life. Everyone else is all falling in love and acting stupid and goofy and sweet and insane, but not me. Why don't I want that more? I want to want that. Am I wired wrong or something?
Ted: No. Look, you didn't want to be with me so clearly you have abysmal taste in men.
(Robin laughs)
Ted: But you're wired just fine.
--
我想講的是「story of my life」,當一件事情或描述太中肯,根本就像自己人生的寫照的時候,就可以這樣說。
上次查的時候看到這個網站,一張圖、一小段文字,但看了都要哭了Q_Q
http://funneng.blogspot.tw/2013/03/story-of-my-life.html
「錢包的錢像烏龜一樣進來,像兔子一樣出去」,story of my lifeT^T


 (http://goo.gl/ME0XmR)


最後abysmal是極度差的、地獄似的、深不可測的意思,這個單字從Friends看到現在,每次看都覺得好有趣XD


沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...