How I Met Your Mother S01E01 - Pilot小筆記



(1)
受到M&L訂婚刺激的Ted覺得自己也該找個對象好好安定下來了。而…
--
Ted: I’m so happy for Marshall, I really am. I just couldn’t imagine settling down right now.
Yasmine: So do you think you’ll ever get married?
Ted: Well maybe eventually. Some fall day. Possibly in Central Park. Simple ceremony, we’ll write our own vows. Band--eh--no DJ, people will dance. I’m not going to worry about it! Damn it, why did Marshall have to get engaged? (Yasmine laughs) Yeah, nothing hotter than a guy planning out his own imaginary wedding, huh?
Yasmine: Actually, I think it’s cute.
Ted: Well, you’re clearly drunk (pulls her wine glass away. Hold up glass to bartender) ONE MORE FOR THE LADY!
--
簡單小片語「Settling down」就是To begin living a stable and orderly life. ,也就是中文的穩定、安定下來。



(2)
Marshall向Lily暗示今晚有surprise,當Lily問時Marshall突然不知怎麼回答:
--
Lily: So there’s more surprises? Like what?
Narrator: Marshall was in his second year of law school, so he was pretty good at thinking on his feet.
Marshall: BOOGITY BOO! And that’s all! I’m ganna go… cook. (Leaves)
--
先別管BOOGITY BOO了XD
重要的是Narrator(旁白)的這句:「he was pretty good at thinking on his feet」,指的就是「隨機應變、腦筋動得很快」
會用了嗎;)



(3)
Ted第一次見到Robin時驚為天人,在經過Barney的「Have~you met Ted」遊戲後兩人認識。於是Ted下定決心要約她出來。
--
Ted: Hey, you wanna have dinner with me Saturday night?
Robin: Oh, I can’t. I’m going to Orlando for a week on Friday. Some guy’s attempting to make the world’s biggest pancake. Guess who’s covering it?
Ted: That’s going to take a week?
Robin: Yeah, he’s going to eat it too, it’s another record.
Robin’s Dumped Friend: Hey, what’s taking so long?
Ted: Uh, I know this is a long shot, but how about tomorrow night?
Robin: (stops) Yeah, (agrees) What the hell (passes number to Ted. Throws drink on Ted’s face) JERK! (Walks away. Whispers) that was fun.
--
Ted說:「 Uh, I know this is a long shot」,其實是以射擊來做比喻,指不太可能發生、做到的事情
所以當我們請某人幫忙一個很大的忙,就可以這樣說:
I know it's probably a long shot, but could I borrow your computer for a while?
或是:
A:Do you think the professor will accept our apology?
B:It's a long shot.....


(4)
Ted和Robin吃完晚餐之後,回家向L&M說他找到了他的Mrs. Ted Mosby!
---
Ted: Mom, dad, I have found the future Mrs. Ted Mosby! Marshall, how have I always described my perfect woman?
Marshall: Oh let’s see (thinks) she likes dogs?

[Flashback to Date]
Robin: I’ve got five dogs.

[Flashback over.]
Marshall: …she drinks scotch?

[Flashback to Date]
Robin: I love a scotch that’s old enough to order its own scotch.
--
今天要講的是「 I love a scotch that’s old enough to order its own scotch.」
這句話指的是Robin喜歡喝Scotch,尤其是放二十年以上的老酒。
why?
因為美國飲酒年齡通常是20歲以上(所以雖然在台灣滿18,去Las Vegas仍然不能喝酒哦!),因此Robin說的話直譯是:
「我喜歡喝那種可以自己點Scotch的Scotch」
是句很可愛,運用譬喻、轉化的用法:3




(5)
Robin和Ted吃飯回來後,念念不忘blue French horns;)
---
Robin: I’ve gotta get one of those blue French horns for over my fireplace. It’s gotta be blue, it’s gotta be French.
Ted: No Green Clarinet?
Robin: No.
Ted: Come on, no purple tuba?
Robin: It’s a smurf penis, we’re no dice.
--
這裡兩人在玩文字遊戲(但也沒什麼),blue->green/purple;
French-> Clarinet(單簧管)/tuba(大號)
相信大家都知道。

今天要談的是「no dice」,指的是「不行」、「門都沒有」的意思。
像是:There were no dice he would be able to get this job.
之後的影集還會再出現哦(至少我S6又聽到過一次:p)



(6)
Ted終於下定決心要去親Robin了!!!
--
Ted: I’m doing this. (Starts to leave)
Lily: Let’s go (pulls Marshall up)
Marshall: Word up!
Lily: We’re coming with you.
Ted:…Barney?
Barney: Alright, but under one condition.
--
Marshall的「Word up」其實就是表示贊同的意思,也可以表示「沒錯,你說得對!」
例如
A: "How I Met Your Mother" is the best episodes ever made.
B: Word up!




(7)
準備下車去親Robin啦
--
Ted: (Exhales) Okay. Moment of truth. Wish me luck. (Exhales)
Barney: Ted’s goanna get it on with a TV reporter (nods. Laughs) This just in. Okay (holds hand up for high-fives)
Lily: Kiss her, Ted. Kiss her good.
Marshall: Kiss the crap out of that girl!
--
這裡有兩段值得談的。
第一個是「Moment of truth」。
指的是關鍵時刻,尤其指當投入了極大努力的時候,終於得知事情是否會如願成功的一刻。
Friends S01E01也有談到「Dear diary moment」,則是指重大的時刻。西方人寫日記常常第一句話是"Dear Diary",因此指重大而值得紀念的一刻。
雖然意思有些不同,但我想還是可以一起討論XD

另一個是Barney的「This just in」,其實是新聞用語哦,指的是:
「這是剛收到的最新消息」,特別適合用在這一刻呢;) 尤其Robin又是個reporter。




(8)
兩人共渡美好的夜晚後,Ted居然說了「I love you」…
--
Ted: So when you tell this story to your friends, could you avoid the word “psycho”? I prefer…eccentric.
Robin: Good night, psycho (smiles). (Ted sarcastically clutches heart. Realizes friends left him)
--
psycho指的是瘋子,尤其是精神病患,psy-的字首和心理有關,如psychology就是心理學的意思。
而eccentric本來應該算是個數學名詞,centric和圓有關,故本指偏離圓心的;而後被用來指怪人(異常、偏離軌道)

再來談談clutch,這就是捉住的意思,所以這裡Ted是諷刺的抓了胸口表示痛心。
但clutch有些片語挺好用的:
.臨時抱佛腳:Cluth at a straw.
.在緊要關頭:in the clutches
.在某人掌握之下:be in sb.’clutches
.遭…毒手:full[get] into the clutches
給大家參考:)




(9)
Barney的新目標是黎巴嫩的妹,於是他問起了司機Ranjit有沒有這樣的經驗;)
Ranjit告訴他,其實他是孟加拉(Bangladesh)人
---
Barney: The women hot there?
Ranjit: Here’s a picture of my wife! (Shows picture)
Barney: (Whispers to Marshall) A Simple “no” would have sufficed. (To Ranjit) She’s lovely.
---
最後一句,Barney看了看照片說「A Simple “no” would have sufficed.」
sufficed:就夠了、滿足
這句話的意思是:「就給他留點面子吧!」

3 則留言:

  1. 謝謝你!自己看時有很多都不太懂@w@

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. 哈哈不會,有問題也歡迎提出來哦:)

      刪除
  2. 最近才看到,真的很實用!!! 感謝你
    最近還有HIMYM的活動嗎?

    回覆刪除

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...