How I Met Your Mother S01E03 - The Sweet Taste of Liberty小筆記

(1)
這集在講T和B一起去機場泡妞的故事XD
--
Ted: Wait so when you said you were going to “pick someone up at the airport”. You meant you were going to “pick someone up at the airport”.
Barney: (winks) Scenario. Couple of girls fly into town, looking for a fun weekend in NYC when they meet two handsome international business men just back from a lucrative trip to Japan. Sample dialogue, "You have a wheelie bag? Wh... I have a wheelie bag !"
Ted: You’ve gotta be kidding me.
Barney: False. Sidebar, tuck in your shirt. You look sketchy.
--
scenario指的是「場景」,或是劇情解釋。
Barney這裡開始預設接下來可能會發生的事情;

而lucrative是有利可圖、利潤豐富的意思,如果需要考toefl或gre其實都會背到。
它的唸法其實就很像「有利可圖」,我都是用諧音去背的XD

再來的sidebar有點像是「題外話」,或是「我們到旁邊去說」的感覺。

tuck in your shirt就是把襯衫紮進去!

最後的sketchy,大家應該都看過sketch,指的是素描
而sketchy就是草草率率、不修邊幅的意思,甚至有點creepy




(2)
T和B仍然在機場找獵物:3
--
Ted: (To waiting woman) So...uh, did you just get in from Detroit? (Points to self) Japan. (Woman leaves)
Barney: Okay, carousel four is tapped out. Ready? Because I’m about to drop some knowledge. Cute girls are not from Buffalo. Time-out. Ten o’clock. You ready to rock this, Tedder?
Ted: Alright, um, I think we need to refine our back-story first. How did we...
Barney: Ted, you klutzy, great guy, you ! (Barney shoves Ted into two lady’s cart and Ted trips backwards. To Women) Hey, Barney. (Adjusts tie)
--
get in是抵達的意思;
carousel是機場的行李運輸帶,但同時也是旋轉木馬的英文哦!

再來的tap out其實語義不明。
目前查到的是tap有水龍頭、源頭的意思,因此tap out有疲憊了、耗竭了->傳輸帶慢了下來
但也有人翻作:開始運轉了
如果大家知道的話麻煩也告訴我們:)

而drop some knowledge是:讓我來教教你吧、給你上個一課啦!的感覺

而refine是推敲、精煉;back-story則是background story,即背景故事。
因此這裡Ted希望在真正上場前,先和B一起排演一下他們之前的設定XD

最後klutzy則是笨手笨腳的意思!




(3)
同天,Lily和Robin一起去bar,沒想到男人們一直hit on(搭訕)Robin,Lily卻乏人問津。
Lily很無奈的打給Marshall,M說:應該是你戴著婚戒吧!
--
Marshall: (On Phone) Oh, it’s totally the ring. If you took that ring off your finger, you’d have a ton of guys crowding around your junk.
Lily: (On Phone) I’m not going to take off my ring ! Wouldn’t you be jealous of guys swarming all over my beeswax?
Marshall: (On Phone) Oh yeah, you know me, I’m the jealous type. Any groom so much as look at you, I’m a sack him in the kisser, no seriously, you girls have a good time tonight. (hangs up)
Lily: (On Phone) Bye.
--
swarm是動詞,蜂湧而上的意思;而再來beeswax就是蜂蠟的意思。
Lily是沿用上面的swarm的意思來譬喻。

M的I'm a _____type其實很好用,只要在___補上你形容詞即可XD
而sack是套布袋,也就是台語的抗布袋啊!
kisser則是俚語講嘴、臉的意思。




(4)
L終於告訴Robin為何她整晚都心不在焉,只是想要證明她還有魅力可以吸引男生。
--
Robin: Dude, I think that guy is gay.
Lily: (Gives in) Oh, I know that guy is gay. Just Marshall and I have been together for nine years. I haven’t been single since high school.
Robin: You wanna be single? (Laughs) You wanna fight off loser guys all night, does that seem like fun to you?
Lily: I guess I wanted to throw this net back into the ocean and see how many fish I could catch. So far, one. One gay dolphin. (Smiles)
--
Lily最後一句話很有趣,她說她想要看看撒網下去海中還能捉到多少魚,
其實就是用捕魚的譬喻來比喻自己到底還有沒有魅力。
然而最後L只捉到一條gay dolphin
dolphin大家都知道是海豚,在美國人眼裡和shark就是相反的兩個東西,因此dolphin=gay shark!
因此Lily用海豚,一方面沿用了之前捕魚的意象,另一方面dolphin本來就有gay的意思了哦:p
--
最後補充一下,美國常常會用動物來專指某些特殊人物,像是butterfly就是交際花;
而shark,指的是放高利貸的人。

[每日一句/詞 131101]S01E03
--
11月了,時間過好快啊!
--
L終於告訴Robin為何她整晚都心不在焉,只是想要證明她還有魅力可以吸引男生。
--
Robin: Dude, I think that guy is gay.
Lily: (Gives in) Oh, I know that guy is gay. Just Marshall and I have been together for nine years. I haven’t been single since high school.
Robin: You wanna be single? (Laughs) You wanna fight off loser guys all night, does that seem like fun to you?
Lily: I guess I wanted to throw this net back into the ocean and see how many fish I could catch. So far, one. One gay dolphin. (Smiles)
--
Lily最後一句話很有趣,她說她想要看看撒網下去海中還能捉到多少魚,
其實就是用捕魚的譬喻來比喻自己到底還有沒有魅力。
然而最後L只捉到一條gay dolphin
dolphin大家都知道是海豚,在美國人眼裡和shark就是相反的兩個東西,因此dolphin=gay shark!
因此Lily用海豚,一方面沿用了之前捕魚的意象,另一方面dolphin本來就有gay的意思了哦:p
--
最後補充一下,美國常常會用動物來專指某些特殊人物,像是butterfly就是交際花;
而shark,指的是放高利貸的人。




(5)
Marshall原來是個愛吃醋的人啊,他很生氣的跑去找dolphin理論XD
--
Marshall (infuriated) You wanna mess pal? That’s my fiancée’s hot backside that you’re dabbing.
Lily: Marshall, no.
Marshall: Baby, please don’t ever take that ring off again. No matter how awesome I say that it is.
Derrick: It’s okay, man...
Marshall: BACK OFF HOMBRE. I’m not that afraid to fight you. You wanna test this guy? Be my guest !
Lily: Marshall, he’s gay !
Marshall: Oh, thank god... I’ve never been in a fight before. (hugs him)
Derrick: You don’t say !
--
fury是生氣,infuriate就是激怒的意思。

fiancée(未婚妻)、fiancé(未婚夫)來自法文,有沒有加e是法文陰陽性的差別。
[btw,很多法文的男女名就是直接在男名後加e就變女生名,像我的法文名Justine就是來自Justin]

Be my guest通常是允許對方來做一些事情。
這裡M是說:「蛤?想打架嗎?來啊!」的意思

最後You don't say會依語氣有不同的意思,有時是「是哦…」、「真的假的」或是「不然咧」,
如果大家有在看Joke版的美國翻譯短漫的話應該會常常看到這個臉XD
這個臉是尼可拉斯凱吉哦XDDD

我在讀書會問過為何美劇如此愛表他,後來知道是因為他有陣子欠債,因此瘋狂接片,好壞參差不齊,而且還到處都看得到他XDDD




(6)
和Barney渡過無聊的一晚,Ted有點無奈,因為如果他遵循以往的routine/rut,他是可以好好的在bar渡過安穩的一晚的。
B還在試圖說服T去lick(舔)the Liberty Bell(費城的自由鐘)
--
Ted: Look, I don’t need you to teach me how to live, okay. I know how to live. If you want to go lick the Liberty Bell just go lick it yourself.
Barney: No, it has to be the two of us.
Ted: Why? Why do you need me?
Barney: Because, you’re my best friend, alright? You don’t have to tell me I’m yours. But the way I see it, we’re a team. Without you, I’m just the dynamic uno. You know what, fine. If you wanna go home… then we’ll go home.
Ted: Fine…we’ll go lick the Liberty Bell !
Barney: Good, (smiles) ‘cuz we’re here ! (Hops out)
--
這大概是Barney第一次講出那麼感人的話吧
他自始至終都知道Ted的best friend絕對不會是他,但他仍然一直試圖說服Ted,其實是因為他很寂寞啊O_Q

dynamic是活力充沛、精力旺盛的
(話說Barney應該小時候有過動吧XD在後幾季他有帶到)

uno呢不是玩的紙牌,是西班牙文或義大利文的「一」。
遊戲為何會取uno這個名字,是因為倒數第二張牌打出後手中只剩「一」張手牌,因此就稱為uno
而uno也有no.1的意思哦!

因此B這裡是說「如果沒有你陪我,那我不過就只是個活力過剩的『一個人』罷了」

p.s. 美國有dynamic duo的用法,指好partner/team,像是Batman和Robin
因此本來BT是dynamic duo,少了T就會變成Dynamic duo,是諧音的pun(雙關)



(7)
結果這集莫名的快解釋完XD
反正到了戲末,女兒和兒子迫不及待的問是否媽媽出現了…
--
Daughter: So, that girl you were talking to... that was mom?
Narrator: Kids, every story in a man’s life is like a dot in an impressionist’s painting. And when you...
Son: So that’s a no?
Narrator: Yeah, that’s a no. (Kids are fed up) What? Come on !
--
Narrator(旁白,future Ted)真的很愛吊書袋!不過也是他有趣的地方啦!
dot當然就是一個「點」
而impressionist是印象畫,我想這部份我因為比較沒有研究,所以麻煩有藝術背景的忙補充:)
總之印象派有一派:新印象派(Neo-Impressionism)常常利用原色小點來作畫,以保持色彩的純度和明度,又稱為點描派。
[Neo為「新」的字根,如neolithic為新石器時代,TOEFL常考哦!]
在此Ted用了譬喻,指說他目前講的所有故事都是印象畫上的一個小點,要由好~多小點,最後才能組成一個印象畫。

P.s. 相信那些孩子們到了第九季之後會深有體悟吧…XD



沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...