How I Met Your Mother S01E18 - Nothing Good Happens After 2 AM 小筆記


1)
這集談V、T、R之間的進展,以「nothing good happens after 2 AM」來貫串。
Ted在要不要和R在一起而焦燥不安;而Barney努力向大家證明2 AM之後還會有很棒的事情發生。
故事開始是因為「CAREER DAY」
--
Lily: Okay, let's have a big hand for Robin the reporter. All right, our next guest is another friend...
Barney: So, Robin, you ever report on train wrecks? 'Cause I just saw one. What up? Tiny five.
Robin: Ha-ha. Laugh now, those kids are monsters. They're going to eat you alive.
Lily: He has a job doing... What do you do?
Barney: Please. Kids, let's rap. You guys don't give half a brown Crayola what I do for a living, do you?
All: No.
Barney: No. I know what you want. Magic.
--
.Career Day
wiki:Career Day often refers to a day in school where students learn about different careers and vocations.
career day可以指找人特別來談未來的職涯規劃、職業的某天聚會等等;
但這裡是專門指讓學童能夠認識不同職業的一天。
看美劇常會看到career day,像是Modern Family S04E21也有哦!
Career day當天有時候會請家長來,也有時候是由老師來請外面的人。
那天Lily請了四位,分別是一位醫生、消防員、Robin及Barney
有趣的是,那天的黑板寫著:
CAREER DAY with:
A DOCTOR
A FIREMAN
A REPORTER
BARNEY(NOT THE PURPLE ONE)
大家都知道Barney的職業是"please"XD Lily不知道怎麼寫,只好寫Barney上去
但因為小孩子會以為"Barney"是個職業,再加上出名的邦尼恐龍,只好在後頭括號讓小朋友們不要誤會XD

 (http://goo.gl/erOkF6)

.get/have/give sb. big hand (for sth.)
因為Robin快爆怒了,Lily快點打了圓場,說:Okay, let's have a big hand for Robin the reporter
這個片語等同於lots of applause for sth.
就是給某人一些掌聲吧!
.let' rap->let's wrap
這裡應該是劇本有誤,Barney的意思應該是let' wrap
let's wrap指的是某事可以結束、停止了。
當Lily要介紹Barney的職業,Barney說:「好了可以停了,我猜你們對於我的工作一點也沒興趣對吧?」
.don't give half a brown Crayola
承上句解釋。
其實這個句子還原後應該是:you guys don't give a shit
don't give a shit/damn都是:根本不屑一顧
但因為Barney是在向小孩子講話,不太好講不好的字眼,所以將shit代換成"brown Crayola"
Crayola是一種蠟筆的品牌,取brown自然是因為顏色和......相近囉!
 (http://goo.gl/tMPKKX)



2)
Robin到哪裡都被問感情的事情…
--
Director: And we're clear.
Man: So, Scherbotsky, got a boyfriend?
Robin: No, and why does this keep coming up today?
Man: Oh, I just thought that guy you were on the phone with...
Robin: What? Oh, no, that was Ted. He's just a friend. I mean, there was this moment where we almost dated, but we want completely different things. Anyway, now he has this girlfriend in Germany and he thinks she's calling to dump him tonight, but I don't think she is. And besides, we want completely different things.
Man: We should have sex.
Robin: What?
Man: Why not? We're both available, we're both attractive, we're both good at it. At least, I'm good at it. And even if you're not, don't worry, I'll have a good time either way.
Robin: Well, moving past the horrifying image of your hair helmet clanging against the headboard, don't get involved with people I work with.
Man: Get involved? Who said get involved? I'm just saying we should have sex, it could be fun.
Ted from 2030: Having sex is fun.
Man: Home number. Call me anytime. A lot of local teens in action tonight...
--
.moving past
這個片語其實有些爭論,詳細可以看後面的網站。
但實際上我認為比較像是:you are stuck on the flaw or weakness - in other words, you cannot let go of it, or it has become a fixed part of your view of yourself and that is why you have a negative self-image.
因為Robin不想要後面的壞印象一直在腦海中盤旋,所以她拒絕。
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1028595
.hair helmet
helmet就是安全帽囉。
所以當髮量多到一定程度時,頭上很像頂著一頂安全帽,這就叫hair helmet
可能有點像是我們所說的盧廣仲頭吧:p
 (http://goo.gl/SevaYN)

.clang
某些東西碰撞而發出聲響
.headboard
床頭板
 (http://goo.gl/ofJ88X)


3)
因為發現自己很寂寞,Robin邀了Ted去他家做果汁。
而Ted呢?
--
Cab driver: Where you going to, buddy?
Ted: Park Slope, Eighth and Eighth. Okay, here's where I left off with the last guy. See, I have a girlfriend, but I'm going over to this other girl's house...
Victoria: And you're wondering if I'd be upset. Hi, Ted. Remember me, your girlfriend?
Ted: Okay, relax, Robin's just a friend.
Victoria: Right. You're going to go make some juice.
Ted: Yes, yes! Juice is perfectly harmless. In fact, it's healthy.
Victoria: Oh, yeah? Then why are you wondering what she looks like naked?
Ted: I am not won... Okay, even if I am wondering that, it's only 'cause you put it in my head.
Victoria: Ah, but I'm just a manifestation of your subconscious, so actually, you put it in your own head.
Ted: Damn it! Nothing's going to happen.
Victoria: Right.
Ted: Okay, okay. You want a second opinion? Fine.
--
.Park Slope, Eighth and Eighth
啊這裡是Robin家附近!這只是個冷知識哈哈。
.manifestation
這個名詞是心理學的吧?指:神秘現象的具體化
Victoria遠在德國,但和Ted對話的其實都只是Ted的潛意識而已
這種深奧的單字也只有Ted會用吧哈哈
.subconscious
潛意識。
這個心理名詞大家應該都知道了,那今天來介紹個字根吧!
*sub-
源自拉丁文的介詞sub,意為under「在下面、支持」的意思。
所以subconscious,是在一般意識的底層->潛意識
更常見的subway,美國指「地下鐵」,在英國指「地下道」(英國的地下鐵叫underground)
不過因為subway也是間有名的潛艇堡,所以sub現在也可以變成單詞指「三明治」了哦!
像Joey最愛meatball sub了!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ0x9Bt7caA



4)
Ted到Robin家了…
--
Ted from 2030: But after 2:00 a.m, my good sense was sound asleep.
Victoria: So you're doing this? You're going up there?
Ted: You want to get out of the way?
Victoria: I'm not in the way.
Ted: You know, if you had just called me, I...
Robin: Hi.
Ted: Hi. Um, I got some vegetables. I got carrots, I got beets.
Robin: Or we could just drink wine.
Ted: Wine... not? Well, that's the stupidest thing I've ever said.
Robin: Thanks.
Ted: Make it a big glass.
Robin: Sure.
Ted: So, how's it hanging?
Robin: Have you ever had one of those days where nothing at all that monumental happens but by the end of it you have no idea who you are anymore or what the hell you're doing with your life? Do you ever have one of those days?
Ted: Uh, about once a week.
Robin: I don't know, it was just a, a rough day and the only person I wanted to see at the end of it was you. So... um... how was the big phone call with your girlfriend?
Ted from 2030: When the clock strikes 2:00, just go to sleep.
Ted: We broke up.
Robin: What?
Ted: Yeah. Yeah, she finally called. We talked for a while-- how hard long distance is-- and then... she dumped me.
Robin: Oh, Ted, I'm so sorry. That's just terrible. I feel awful.
Ted: You're smiling.
Robin: Am I? No I'm not. I'm a news anchor. Smiling's a part of the job. Thousands died in a tragic avalanche today. See? You're smiling, too.
Ted: Yeah. I have no idea what that's all about.
--
.beet
甜菜。


.wine.....not?
就是why...not啦,這是Ted的笑點之一…
.how's hanging
其實就是How are you之類的打招呼用語。
記得在Slutty pumpkin那集Ted打扮成hanging chad嗎?他那時候也有用這句來當雙關哦!
.monumental
有重大紀念意義的。
.news anchor
新聞主播。
anchor其實本來是船的錨,但據資料顯示:主播的英文詞「anchor」由哥倫比亞廣播公司(CBS)在1952年7月7日首先創用。
e.g. he signed off after nineteen years as CBS news anchor
其實英文的主播有幾個不同的詞彙,anchor(黃金主播,當家時段)、Newsreader/newscaster (專任主播,整點時段)及Reporter-anchor(兼任主播,假日或冷門時段)
這部份大家可以看一下:http://www.ptt.cc/man/EmailYang/DC46/M.1326390527.A.F46.html
由有名的主播專門講解哦:D
.avalanche
雪崩,或可以叫snowslide或snowslip。
似乎是源於法文?的確這個單字的組合也看起來不太像英文字。
啊然後來個小八掛,我那天才知道Sandy(這集與下集出現的Robin主播同事)是Lily的老公!!!XD(忘了可以看這張圖)
 (http://goo.gl/4D2u29)




5)
Ted: (Ted goes out in the hall) Hello?
Korean Elvis: Ted, this is your main man, K.E. I want you to shake your tail feathers down here ASAP, you dig?
Marshall: Sorry about that.
Ted: Was that Korean Elvis?
Marshall: I'll explain later. Hey, we're headed down to MacLaren's.
Ted: Um... Actually... I'm at Robin's. Yeah, and, um... I might have done something bad. I just lied and told her I broke up with Victoria.
Marshall: Ted, I don't want to swear in front of Korean Elvis, but what the bleep are you doing, dude?
Ted: What do you expect from me? It's Robin. Victoria's great, but, it's Robin. I've made up my mind. I'm going to end it with Victoria.
Lily: Gonna?
Ted: Yes. First thing tomorrow.
Lily: Okay, but, but, as of right now at-at... 2:45 a.m. you still have a girlfriend. Ted, I love you. I love Robin. But if you do this right now, your entire future with her will be built on a crime. Just go home, Ted. Don't do this the wrong way.
Ted: I hate how you're always right.
Lily: It's my best and most annoying trait.
Ted: Okay. I'm coming home. I'll see you soon. (Ted comes back to Robin's apartment)
--
.main man
其實就是buddy、dude、bro之類的稱呼囉。
.shake your tail feathers
tail feather,鳥的尾羽,其實就是ass, butt的同義詞

只是呢,這句話也同時是一首歌就是XD

.dig
[美國俚語]為了解、贊成。
.bleep
電視節目如果講到不好的話時都會有「嗶--」,這個bleep也就是用來取代髒話的
.trait
特質、特點。


6)
Barney非常努力要證明after 2:00還是會有好事發生,一直留Lily和Marshall下來…
--
Ted from 2030: Meanwhile, back at the bar, Barney was still trying to prove that good things can happen after 2:00 a.m.
Barney: Come on, Lily. How many women can say they've been personally serenaded by Korean Elvis?
Lily: I think he just spat on me.
Marshall: Barney, you tried, I think that's great, but we're going.
Barney: No! No, come on.
Marshall: Yes!
Barney: Dude, we haen't hit legendary yet. We're only at the "le". We still got the "gen." The "da." The "ry."
Lily: Okay, if we're at the "le," then I say we follow it up with a "t's go home."
Marshall: Oh, wow, you just got burned, phonics style.
Korean Elvis: No, no, no, no, no. Baby, baby, baby, don't go. Just one dance, huh?
Lily: Okay, seriously.
Korean Elvis: Hey, I know what you like.
Ted from 2030: And so, Barney was right-- the night was legendary. It would come to be known as The Time Lily Kicked Korean Elvis in the Nards.
Barney: Hey, you guys remember the time that Lily kicked Korean Elvis in the Nards?
--
.serenade:
對…唱/奏小夜曲
.spat
spit,吐/噴口水
.phonics
自然發音法
因為Barney將legendary分成le/gen/da/ry
Lily在Le後面接's go home
 (http://goo.gl/3dItFi)

.Nards
就是testicles囉!
--
這集實在沒什麼好介紹的,就到這裡囉:)


*補充劉芬泥的解釋:
phonics 指的是一般兒美所謂的自然發音法,或是字母拼讀法喔,也就是所謂看到字就可以念得出音的(英語教學)方法,通常phonics教的就是把一個字照音節拆開來拼讀。 因此,前面Barney本來要講legendary, 才講到第一個音節而已,(We haven't hit legendary yet, 這裡hit是講到的意思),還有後面的gen,da,ry還沒講到。 所以Lily 照他的拆法,把le當成是Let's go home的第一個音節。
Marshall 才會一副看好戲的說 You just got burned. 你被反將一軍了,phonics style.


phonics 是名詞,不是形容詞喔,所以解釋不會有"的", 如果真的要講究一點的話,音韻學是phonology, "音韻學的/聲韻學的"應該是 phonological. 因為這是我的老本行,忍不住跳出來補充一下。

沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...