How I Met Your Mother S01E20 - Best Prom Ever 小筆記

1)
Lily和Marshall為了搶他們心目中最棒的結婚場地--Van Smoot,於是婚禮突然之間要在兩個月後舉行。
--
Marshall: Shh! Shh! Look how cute she looks. All tuckered out. Hey, babe. Hey, little one. Hey, Lilypad.
Lily: Crap! Band! We forgot a band! It's just gonna be silence and then people chewing.
Marshall: Shh! Shh! Baby, don't worry about it. I called The 88!
Lily: Who?
Marshall: The 88. They're this awesome band. They played my law review party. They were found guilty. On three counts of rocking.
Ted: I saw them two months ago at my cousin Bonzo's wedding, they were great.
Lily: John "Bonzo" Bonham from Led Zeppelin?
Ted: Yes, Lily, my cousin, the drummer from Led Zeppelin, who died in 1980, got married two months ago.
Lily: Look, I... I can't sign off on a band I've never even seen. We... we don't even know if they can play our song. They're... they're going to have to come over here and audition.
Marshall: Baby, The 88 don't audition. They're, like, the Wiggles of wedding bands.
Lily: Well, then... I have to say no.
Marshall: Baby, they're only holding the date until Monday.
Lily: Well... well, are they playing anywhere this weekend?
Marshall: Let me check their Website.
Lily: What?
Ted: Lily, you're being a wee bit intense about this band thing.
Lily: Intense? I have a wedding to plan in nine weeks for 200 people. Even if a dinosaur should poke his head out of my butt and consume this coffee table, I need you to roll with it, okay?
Ted: Wow.
(Barney enters)
Barney: Guys! I just tasted an amazing caterer.
Lily: We already have a caterer.
Barney: Oh, right. You're getting married. You see what I did there? Took a...
Marshall: It looks like The 88 are playing at a high school prom in New Jersey tomorrow.
Lily: A prom? Can... can we go to that?
Marshall: Yeah, we'll just call the high school, they'll let us stand in the back and watch.
--
.Van Smoot
這兒指一個婚禮的場地,然而…大家知道"the Captain"的名字居然叫做Van Smoot嗎!
我和Tiffany都覺得很像是在為日後埋梗啦,畢竟M和L的婚姻和the Captain關係很大啊!
.tucker out
美式口語,指精疲力盡的意思
.The 88
是一個真的樂團哦,他們也演出了這集。
另外,他們也為不少影集寫歌,像是Community的主題曲就是他們唱的呢!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGbjR1Y9Qo

.Led Zeppelin / John "Bonzo" Bonham
Led Zeppelin就是《齊柏林飛船》,英國的搖滾樂團,算是20世紀最為流行且擁有巨大影響力的搖滾樂團。
而John Bonham就是裡面的鼓手,被認為是搖滾史上最偉大的鼓手之一,但他在1980年因為醉酒嘔吐窒息而死,後來樂團也隨之解散。
他的綽號也叫做"Bonzo",所以Lily才會這樣問。
 (http://goo.gl/hEjJ7G)


.sign off
簽收,像我們簽收包裹就是這個片語。
.the Wiggles
看起來像是為小朋友舉辦party時的工作團體,官網這樣介紹:Official site for this Australian band that entertains young children across the world. Includes song clips, TV schedule, games, and coloring sheets.
 (http://goo.gl/nIAwri)

.wee bit
有一點點
.caterer
包辦宴席的人、餐飲服務商。
 (http://goo.gl/5t8AmL)





2)
Marshall訂到了The88,但是Lily一定要聽過之後才肯答應。
--
Lily: Yeah. No, they won't.
Marshall: Why not?
Lily: 'Cause it turns out we're not in high school.
Barney: No sweat, we'll just sneak in.
Marshall: We're not sneaking in to a high school prom.
Lily: Yes, we are. It's the only way.
Ted: You're getting on board with Barney's idea? Man, you really have snapped.
Lily: It's nine weeks till the wedding. At this point, I'd say yes to just about anything.
Barney: Well...
Lily: No, Barney.
--
.No sweat
人在緊張的時候比較容易出汗,因此no sweat可以指別擔心、某事輕而易舉。
e.g. Don't worry about the flat tire. No sweat! I have a car phone and a set of tools in back.

 (http://www.1400ml.com/elissa/NS_rosie.jpg)

又有另一個片語叫Don't sweat it,和上面的意思差不多。
e.g. Hey, don't sweat it! You're a good friend and you've loaned me money when I needed it.
或是也可以說「別大驚小怪」,e.g. Hey, I'm not a baby! Man, don't sweat it! I keep an eye on my watch and still have 30 minutes before taking my pill.
.sneak in
偷偷遛進去。
 (http://goo.gl/P4wviu)

.on board
支持。
e.g. While most of us might be OK about interracial dating, some people aren’t on board with the notion.
.snap
失去理智。
但要記得snap有很多其他的意思哦!







3)
Robin和Lily想要混進high school prom
--
Lily: All right, what do you think?
Barney: Horrible.
Lily: You're gonna make such a great dad.
Barney: You look so classy and nice. You're going to stick out like a sore thumb. Have you seen how the kids are dressing these days, with the Ashlee and the Lindsay and the Paris? They all dress like strippers. It's go ho or go home.
Lily: Well, we have to get in. I have to see this band, 'cause we have to make a decision by Monday, 'cause I'm getting married in 71 days, and we still don't have...
Robin: Shh. Sweetie, just focus on one thing at a time, okay? Right now, you just have to dress like a whore and that's it.
Lily: All right.
Barney: That's the spirit. Now, ladies, slut up!
--
.to stick out like a sore thumb
指「不同尋常」、「引起別人注意的」。
to stick out是伸出在外頭;sore thumb:痛的大姆指,甚至包著紗布。
那在一群人中伸出一個包著紗布的大姆指(或紅通通的大姆指),不是顯得格外突出嗎?就是這個片語的意思。
看看底下的企鵝圖片就懂了XD

 (http://goo.gl/QjEMh4)

給個例子吧:
Sarah went to the ball alone thinking she'd find someone to dance with. But everyone had a partner so she was all alone most of the time. She stuck out like a sore thumb and was very embarrassed.
也很符合這集的精神吧XD
*補充:under the thumb
也就是控制某人,或被某人控制。
e.g. My friend Pete Green is certainly under his wife's thumb. She handles all the money, buys his clothes, won't let him go out at night -- he's almost afraid to breathe without her permission.
.go ho or go home
go ho,ho音很像whore;goho也可以直接當一個名詞
意思是說你如果不穿得騷一點,那不如就洗洗睡回家吧。
Barney還同時舉了Ashlee、Lindsay和Paris,這些社交名媛我也不用講了吧XD?
.That's the spirit!
這就對了!就該這樣想!
底下貓咪的圖片,牠說:「Today the dog. Tomorrow the world」,我們也可以對牠說:That's the spiritXD
 (http://goo.gl/z4XLzL)

--
其實就因為婚禮決定得那麼倉促,Lily才會那麼恐慌;有時候想想,如果他們慢慢的準備,Marshall是不是就可以不用像Season1後面那樣心痛呢?
啊最後.....
最近我很常聯署啊,但這個聯署和大家還挺有關係的XD
要求劇組重寫劇本XDDDD 大家看看囉!
http://www.change.org/petitions/cbs-rewrite-and-reshoot-the-himym-ending


4)
大家居然最後都混進prom內了!
--
Barney: How did you guys get in here?
Ted: We just snuck in the back.
Barney: You just snu... Are you serious? I've been trying to get in here all night. I finally paid a janitor 200 bucks to let me borrow this mascot costume.
Ted: But you got in. Slow and steady won the race.
Marshall: Hey, bro, have you seen my fiancée Lily?
Andrew: Your fiancée? Whoa, tonight she's with me, bro. Unless you're looking for trouble.
Marshall: Listen, little buddy, I understand it's prom and the adrenaline's pumping, but...
Andrew: No, not tonight. I've waited too long for this. I finally got a girl and I'm not going to let you take her away from me.
Marshall: Whoa, whoa. Look, let's not get carried away.
Andrew: Yah! Nunchaku!
--
.janitor
janitor可以指守門人、警衛,但也可以是指清潔工。
這裡警衛和清潔工或許都說得通(畢竟沒有演出這段);但從劇本中有security guard來看,這裡很有可能是「清潔工」,而且後半段Security還跑去追Barney
多次更正,真不好意思啊!
.mascot
吉祥物。(這裡不確定是不是學校的吉祥物XD)
像是統一的就是open醬,雄獅就是蠟筆奶油獅之類的。
 (http://goo.gl/qTjG38)

.Slow and steady won the race
因為Barney身穿烏龜裝,所以Ted在調侃他XD
引用的是龜兔賽跑的故事,哈哈
.adrenaline
腎上腺素
.Nunchaku
雙截棍,來自日語ヌンチャク;也有另一個英文名稱:chainsticks
現在的樣貌是源自日本琉球的武器,不過最早據傳源自中國武術。
 (http://goo.gl/am1iiG)


5)
Lily在prom上回想起....
--
[FLASHBACK]
Lily: I don't want to be tied down. I want to live in France and Spain and Italy and just soak up life and put it on a canvas, even if it means being a waitress in crappy cafés for five years, I don't care. I'm going to be a painter. And I can't do any of that with a, with a boyfriend shackled around my neck, you know? But anyway, I'm blabbering. Way to make new friends, Lily. I'm sorry. What was your name again?
Man: Marshall.
Lily: Nice to meet you, Marshall. Guess we're hallmates.
Marshall: Yeah.
Lily: It works.
Marshall: Violent Femmes. I love this song.
Lily: Me, too.
[END OF FLASHBACK]
Lily: I didn't have any of the experiences I set out to. The travel, the bohemian art life, my big lesbian experience. I didn't do any of it.
Robin: Lily, you're marrying your best friend in the world. I mean, isn't that worth all the other experiences combined?
Lily: Yeah.
Robin: And look, you can still travel, I mean, you can still paint. And as far as your lesbian experience... Happy?
Lily: Yeah. So field hockey, huh?
Robin: Shut up.
--
.canvas
油畫布、帆布。
 (http://goo.gl/0Xo1EX)

.shackled
上枷鎖、被束縛住
.blabber
喋喋不休、碎碎唸
.hallmate
我們常見roommate,指室友
而hall mate應該也是依照這樣的方式組合起來的,hall+mate,指住在同一個廊道上的「廊友」(?)
.bohemian
波希米亞的
也可以指「放蕩不羈」的意思
 (http://goo.gl/rmzeJu)

.field hockey
曲棍球
 (http://goo.gl/U8AYz5)

--
欸原來她們那麼早就親過了!!!





6)
Ted和Marshall在Prom打架被抓到了。
--
Security guard #1: Trespassing, assaulting a minor. This mascot costume you stole cost $5,000.
Security guard #2: We can have you guys arrested, you know that?
Ted: Oh, come on-- you're the one who let in a kid with nunchakus. You call yourself security guards? I was just defending my boy here.
Marshall: I totally could have taken that kid.
Ted: Uh, yeah, and I totally had your back, so...
Marshall: Well, I don't need it, but thanks.
Ted: Uh, yeah, you did, and you're welcome.
Marshall: No, the kid was totally, like, a white belt and I'm gigantic. Listen, guys, I'm sorry. Please, I just need to get in there for one more song.
Security guards: Absolutely not.
Barney: You guys will thank me for this later, okay? Listen, Don, Ray, can't we all...? (Barney takes the head of the turtle, and starts running away)
Security guard #1: Hey!
Ted: You know, for a turtle, he's surprisingly quick.
--
.trespass
擅闖
.assault
攻擊
.minor
未成年人。
也可以指副修科目或是次要的。
.had your back
在背後支持某人,當某人的靠山,叫對方不用擔心。
不過通常看到的是got your back,這在戰爭片很常看到。
有趣的是,有人用"Got Your 6",而且這甚至變成了一項運動的名稱。
"Got Your 6"是2011年Hollywood發起的一項運動,以幫助自中東戰區退伍返家的軍人重新適應平民生活。
為何用6?其實6就是指back。
日常生活常用時間位置來表示方向的系統,所以6:00方向就是你的背後囉。
由此也可衍伸"Watch/check your 6"來提醒對方小心背後,或問題的發生。
 (http://goo.gl/WXVc4V)

.gigantic
巨大的。
--
我一直以為昨天PO了哈。
這集就到這裡結束囉!


沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...