How I Met Your Mother S01E15 - Game Night 小筆記

1)
公認最會玩遊戲的Marshall要當game night的host,沒想到…他居然自行發明了遊戲XD
而這也是Ted帶Victoria正式和大家見面:)
--
Marshall: It's called "Marsh-gammon." It combines all the best features of all the best games... Candy Land, I Never, Pictionary.
Robin: Backgammon, obviously.
Marshall: No. Backgammon sucks. I took the only good part of backgammon, the "gammon," and I left the rest of it in the trash where it belongs.
Lily: I'm so excited Victoria's coming.
Robin: I'm going to go get another round.
Ted: Okay, I want to lay down some ground rules for tonight. Barney, I actually like Victoria... a lot, so don't say anything embarrass... Don't say anything. And guys, I haven't exactly told Victoria that I used to have a kind of thing for Robin, so we you could just avoid the...
Barney: Well, well, well. How rich. You make me promise to be on my best behavior around your girlfriend, yet, you have been lying to her since day one. Excuse me.Hi. Leg Warehouse? Yeah, my friend Ted needs something to stand on. So, nothing for him to stand on? Okay, and thanks so much. Ted, doesn't Victoria deserve to know that you once had the hots for Robin? I have half a mind to tell the story of the re-return.
--
這段上面有提到Gin、Yahtzee、Poker,都是美國有名的遊戲。
Gin全名是Gin Rummy,也是琴酒哦!玩法可以見:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwpS0RCVoi4


再來Yahtzee則是骰子遊戲,可見http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahtzee
最後Poker就是撲克啦!

好的,再來介紹Marshall發明的遊戲--Marsh-gammon囉!
據Marshall介紹,這是一款combines all the best features of all the best games,也就是集合所有遊戲最好玩的地方啦!
依照他的解釋,他應該是以「Candy Land」的世界為基底,再配合其他的遊戲規則來玩。Candy Land的介紹則可以看wiki或youtube哦!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o7DhyH4z_E




"I Never"可以是個片語。當我們說I never.時,有兩種意思:
1) 我從來沒有受到如此大的羞辱!e.g.
A: Pack your thing and get out!
B: I never!
或是2) 我從來沒有聽過或不相信 e.g.
A: Would you believe I can eat a whole elephant?
B: I never!
其實都是省略了後面的句子。
而這兒Marshall說的是一款飲酒遊戲:"I Never",或全稱"Never Have I Ever"。
怎麼玩呢?很簡單XD
輪到A時,A要說一件"I Never.....",就是A從來沒有做過的事;而A說完後,如果有做過的就得喝一杯,沒做過的可以不用喝,然後換一位說。
這遊戲很好炒熱氣氛,也可以探知大家的小祕密XD

 (http://goo.gl/VP4NDS)

btw,如果想要把酒解決的話我也可以介紹可怕的drinking game---「7+8-9」給大家........(抖)

而Pictionary則是以畫圖的方式讓大家猜。會分成兩小組,要依據卡片上的指示來畫圖,可能是名詞、形容詞等等。目前中文版的我還沒看到(香港似乎有?),但英文版的台灣就買的到囉:D

 (http://goo.gl/ZSPHxr)


Anyway,這些桌遊(board game)都很適合一群人玩,來炒熱氣氛哦!也很適合給小孩子玩:)

再來Ted提到lay down some ground rules,ground rules似乎源於棒球。
「各地的球隊會制訂一些自己專屬的規則(就是所謂的"眉角"),即使客隊也要遵守。……後來ground rule被應用到日常生活中」(http://www.2abc8.com/new/26354/
所以當我們希望在此之前立一些約定,就可以這樣說。

Barney回了:Excuse me.Hi. Leg Warehouse? Yeah, my friend Ted needs something to stand on
「Sofa Leg Warehouse」,是一間美國的沙發賣場吧,都在賣沙發;warehouse就是工廠。這兒不確定Barney是否確指「Sofa Leg Warehouse」XD
而他的嘲諷源於片語:don't have a leg to stand on,就是沒有證據足以立論。
因為Ted自己瞞著Victoria曾經喜歡Robin這件事,卻又要求Barney他們要好好表現XD






2)
大家開始玩遊戲!
--
Marshall: Victoria, "How many boyfriends did you have before you started dating Ted?"
Ted: Wait, the card actually says "Ted?"
Victoria: Okay, uh, well, boyfriends--I guess I've only had... two.
Robin: Prude alert.
Victoria: Well... that's serious boyfriends. I've dated other guys in between.
Robin: Oh, slut alert!
Barney: Oh, great, there it is. Thanks, Lily. You're a peach. Oh, wow, look at that. Robin landed on the Chocolate Swamp. That's five chips for me.
Marshall: Thank you! Finally somebody understands Marsh-gammon.
Lily: Barney, what was on that tape?
Barney: Too bad you'll never find out.
Lily: Oh, damn it! If only I'd given you a fake tape and hidden the real tape in my purse. Oh, wait. That's exactly what I did.
Barney: What?!
Marshall: Drink!
--
呃不知為何講完桌遊後,好像要談的變少了XD
不管了XD
--
雖然Marshall和Lily答應Ted別為難Victoria,也不要質問(interrogation)她XD
但是遊戲是Marshall設計的,遊戲規則大概只有M一個人理解,所以目前問的所有問題都跑到V的身上。

這次問題是:「你在遇到Ted之前交過幾個男朋友?」
沒想到這個問題就漏餡了,怎麼可能會提到Ted啊?很明顯M就是故意的啊XD
當V回答後,Robin說了一句:Prude alert!
prude是假正經、老古板的意思,也有點偽君子的味道;
而alert就是警告!
大家應該聽過防毒軟體出現「Virus alert」的警示聲,這兒是R很酸溜溜的說:「哎喲大家小心點,這兒有個岳不群啊~」

那Gumdrop Mountain和Chocolate Swamp都是遊戲Candy Land裡的地名哦!


 (http://goo.gl/Xa1tmp)



3)
Barney早年的丟人影片被發現後,他馬上閃人…
--
Marshall: Did you try his cell phone?
Ted: Yeah, I left two messages. I checked the cigar club, the Lusty Leopard. He's off the grid.
(Barney arrives)
Barney: Hey, guys, what up?
Robin: Barney, where have you been?
Ted: Yeah, we're-we're really sorry about that.
Lily: Yeah, so sorry. But seriously, what was up with the tape? No, no, stay.
All: Come on. Stay!
Barney: I'm sorry. I don't want to talk about it. It was the most embarrassing, and humiliating thing that ever happened to me.
Marshall: Well, we all have embarrassing stories. Sometimes it's good to-to talk about it.
Barney: Oh, really? Then why don't you tell us your most humiliating moment, Marshall? Show me how good it is.
Marshall: All right.
--
off the gird,為形容詞,指:Unrecorded, untraceable through normal means.
也就是無法探測、找不到的。
而grid有格子、高壓電網之意,因此也有反電器、反潮流、反傳統、反璞歸真,或是自給自足的意思。
給個例句好了:)
e.g. Everyone in this community lives "off the grid", they now draw all their power from solar, wind, propane and other sources.
--





4)
大家為了要聽Barney的故事,只好提供一個自己最丟臉的故事出來:3
--
Barney: Not the slipping-in-horse-poop story!
Ted: Yeah, we all know that one.
Victoria: Okay, how about this? I will tell you my most humiliating story.
Marshall: Yeah, Victoria, way to step up!
Victoria: Okay, it involves a game of truth or dare, a squeeze-bottle of marshmallow ice cream topping, and the hot tub at my grandparents' retirement community.
Ted from 2030: Kids, I tell you a lot of inappropriate stories, but there's no way in hell I'm telling you this one. Don't worry, though, it wasn't that great.
Marshall: That is the greatest story ever!
Lily: Oh my God!
Ted: Wow, wow!
Barney: Victoria, I deem your offering... worthy. My saga... continues.
--
其實這兒看得出來Victoria是個很有趣的女孩
大家其實巴不得不要說到自己的故事,但V卻挺身而出XDDD

據她的說法,故事involves a game of truth or dare, a squeeze-bottle of marshmallow ice cream topping, and the hot tub at my grandparents' retirement community.
truth or dare,其實就是真心話大冒險囉!
squeeze-bottle則是擠壓瓶,我們平常吃熱狗時的蕃茄醬瓶子就是哦!
而marshmallow就是棉花糖。又因為Marshall的名字前半倍也是Marsh,所以Lily都䁥稱Marshall為Marshmallow -////-
ice cream topping是冰淇淋上淋或灑的配料

 (http://goo.gl/blVu03)


hot tub則是浴缸,順帶一提,如果有搭配噴射水注的按摩浴缸,就會叫做Jacuzzi哦!

因為Jacuzzi算是世界上最早製造按摩浴缸的公司,也因為太有名了就由專有名詞變成普通名詞了。
 (http://goo.gl/iq7PtX)

這類的詞很常見,有種常見的:
Xerox(影印)、Q-tip(棉花棒)、kleenex(面紙)、band-aid(OK繃)等等;
又如google本來是公司名,現在可以轉品為verb哦!
不過也有誤用的啦…像我就很不習慣人家說:你等下要不要APP(欸批批)我?
上面句子是說:你要不要用WhatsApp傳訊給我。
雖然這樣的說法很普遍,但說實在有點問題。
畢竟App其實是泛指所有的Application,在不同的語境下可能會誤導別人以為你在說全部的程式;另外,該程式原本應該發類似"Whats up"的音,所以說A-P-P其實真的會誤導別人的哦!

扯遠了…
retirement community就是專門供退休的、或是老人們所居住的社區。

好啦,Victoria的故事究竟在談什麼?到現在仍然沒有人知道。
網路上也有網友也想要用這些線索拼湊出一個丟臉的故事,但目前為止看起來要讓Marshall說出:GREATEST STORY EVER!!!都還有一段距離。
大家也可以試試看哦^_<

最後deem,是認為、覺得,是個非常正式的用法
而saga則是冒險故事、英雄事蹟。






5)
Barney的蛻變(metamorphosis)!
--
Barney: How can... With your dad? I mean, I know judge not lest ye be judged, but gross!
Shannon: Barney, that's not my dad. His name's Greg. I've been seeing him for a few weeks. I was hoping you'd just leave, and we could avoid all this.
Barney: We're breaking up? But what about the Peace Corps?
Shannon: Yeah, all this granola business, it was just a phase. Greg's older. He's successful. He buys me all this cool stuff.
Barney: But I love you.
Shannon: But he has a boat. You should go to the Peace Corps and forget about me.
Barney:(Barney narrator) I didn't go. That night, I recorded my video and mailed it to Shannon. I didn't see her until a week later. There's sugar in the basket. Shannon! Shannon, you came back!
Shannon: I'm just picking up my last paycheck.
Barney: Oh. Did you... did you get my tape?
Man: Oh, she got the tape.
Barney: You? It was you?
Man: Will I ever see another rainbow Oh, man.
(Barney leaves the coffee shop, crying. A man gives him a flyer on which you can read "Suit up". He grabs his hair and cut them short. He then shaves and put on a suit)
--
judge not lest ye be judged算是比較古式的英文,ye是古英文的you,而lest是古英文文法,用做連接詞,唯恐、免得。
有人認為可以翻為:我們批評別人的同時,我們也必須被放在同一標準被評斷;
或是簡單些,就是:別批評別人,以免被批評。

granola其實是燕麥,這兒有幾種解釋方式。

 (http://goo.gl/6ucE26)

granola business當成燕麥生意,指一種自行創業,或許可以和Greg對比,指年輕人那種不成熟的夢想;
又或是,granola可以當成一種形容詞,指某些人很「環保」,事事都要「有機」,關注大自然,拒絕使用由動物所製造或取出的物品或食物…等。詳細可以查urban dictionary。
因為當時的Barney很純真,很注重自然,關懷社會(所以他們才要參加和平隊),因此這也有可能指Barney的這些"granola"的活動吧。

最後的paycheck就是薪水啦!!!




沒有留言:

張貼留言

語言學知識型Podcast:《語言好好玩》

今天在寫ARG文時才發現網誌好久沒更新了XD 最近的新動態是在「 鏡文化 」開Podcast節目,《語言好好玩》,自己推薦大家來聽XD 是一個語言學的科普節目,用生活化的例子來談些語言學的知識,歡迎大家收聽 <3 自寫稿自錄自繪圖,產業一條龍XDDD 也歡...